Whirlpool wort without a pump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dalex2004

Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone is having any success whirl pooling wort with out the use of a pump. I'm trying to separate my cold break and hop material better. I have just been stirring vigorously for a few minutes then letting it set for 30 min prior to draining. The cold break and hop material just settle to the bottom but don't form a "cone". Thanks in advance.

It depends on the amount of hop material you're talking about. I've never been able to achieve a defined "cone" if I'm using ounces and ounces of hops in a 5 gallon batch. Anything larger than a couple of ounces and I will usually just strain the hop material out with a straining bag at the fermenter.

I think the use of whirfloc or irish moss woukd help. I've used whirfloc and just stirred like a madman, then let the wort settle for 30 minutes. Theres times where i get a nice mound of junk on the bottom and theres times where nothing settles out. I've never gotten consistant results, but with whirfloc, you can actually watch everything clump up and start to drop out. Looks pretty cool in a BB.

Back