Saison 3724 yeast stuck at 1.01

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Threetall

Reaction score
I have a saison fermenting right now at a gravity of 1.010, and OG was 1.064. It has been 4.5 weeks now. I have it sitting in a warm water heated by an aquarium heater. Temperature of the saison is 80F. Should I try rousing the yeast, or should I just let it sit? Fermentation doesn't look too active, but I know this about that yeast.

If you want better attenuation than that then you want 3711. It is unstoppable.

What was your target FG? Ae you on a time schedule? Some points for you to ponder...

1st choice is raise the temp and gently rouse the yeast
2. Just wait it out if your not in a hurry
3. Pitch champagne or another dry yeast into it to dry it out
4. As Passed said ... Toss some 3711 in

I just kegged a 3724 Saison a few weeks ago......besides the first stick, it also stuck at 1.012 around 4 weeks...temps were at 90f. I pitched some Nottingham in and dropped the temp to 80....at 6 weeks it was at 1.080..close enough.....I really don't know if pitching the Notty helped or not. The Notty did not throw any off favors at all.

I don't have a definite answer, but I will say it's an incredible tasting beer!!!!! It's worth the trouble it put me through and being judged this weekend. I am by no means a 3724 expert either, this was my first Saison. Best of luck!

1.010 is too high. I agree with passedpawn. Bomb it with 3711 to get it down.

A small starter and throw it in at high krausen.. It will finish low. 3711 will ferment your spoon if you stir too long.

1.010 is too high. I agree with passedpawn. Bomb it with 3711 to get it down.

A small starter and throw it in at high krausen.. It will finish low. 3711 will ferment your spoon if you stir too long.

How small a starter? Or can I just pitch direct?

3711 will not change the flavor. I've done saisons with only 3711 and they finished low but not funky at all. I've done them with 3724 first, then finished with 3711, and they finished very low (will check notes) and with great flavor.

[edit] my notes from my last saison

[30JUN12] - OG = 1.065

[1JUL12] - evening; Bubblin away now. THe carboys are sitting outdoors with a towel over the fermenters. Probably about 80 at night, near 90 day.
[03JUL12] - just measured 83F on the carboys
[14jul12] - 1.032. Guess I should throw some 3711 at it. Argh.
[18JUL12] - split pack of Wyeast 3711 French Saison between the two fermenters.
[29JUL12] - 1.014
[7AUG02] - 1.004. Holy crap.

Threetall said:
Will that affect the flavor profile? I'm so close.

Your primary strain did the bulk of the work and gave all the flavor/aroma you were looking for with that yeast. The 3711 will just bring your gravity down where you want it. What was your recipe? Was it all grain? What mash temp? Any caramel malts?

I love these 3711 threads.
Ive done (2) 3724 saisons (wanting that funkier flavor) and never even thought about 3711 to drop them down.
First batch took almost 7weeks to ferment out and even then stopped at .008

Looks like i know what im brewing this weekend!!

Latest posts

Back