my first rhizomes.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JFK

Reaction score
Trading some home brew locally for my first two rhizomes in a few days. I'm really excited and also very nervous. I really go overboard with everything I get into. I am planning on growing them at two separate locations due to availability of space where I live. Here is my proposed setups. First set up is not going to be ideal at my place we have a wire doorway trellis I guess you would call it. I'm planning on growing two shots up it. Should I be digging up the ground and replacing it with special soil? Also should I be building a mound of soil for it to start from. Second site. At my wife's grandfather's place he said I can plant it near the tree line in his yard. So I want to do this at the northern part of the yard so they are south facing? We decided to basically put thick route attached to two trees and run thick twine down at an angle to the ground and spike them into a 4x4 that will be buried next to the rhizome but about a quarter foot away from it. Any suggestion on rope or twine to use thickness etc. I need to be able to get everything local and very cheap as I have very little money atm. Design changes are welcome as long as they don't make the project expensive. I plan on making a much better system when we buy a permanent residence and rhizoming my plants then to transfer them over in a few years. Post thought there is also an old lamppost in my back yard I could use instead of the walkway that gets much more light. The lamppost issue is my dogs can get to it... do dogs eat hops..

Back