Secondary question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DiscipleofDionysus

Reaction score
First time making mead so I had a question. How long should it sit on fruit (plums)? I just racked it into a 6 gallon glass carboy and want to get a good amount of flavor from it. Thanks

Sorry to state the obvious......

Until it tastes right........

Just keep taking a small taste once a week so you can follow the improvement in flavour. Then rack off the fruit when it tastes good to you or the flavour stops changing......

fatbloke said:
Sorry to state the obvious......

Until it tastes right........

Just keep taking a small taste once a week so you can follow the improvement in flavour. Then rack off the fruit when it tastes good to you or the flavour stops changing......

Will there be any negative effects if he leaves it for a long period of time?

No unless there are pits in the plums. Yet taste really is the only way your going to know when it's at its peak. I taste all my meads about one a week once in secondary.

Will there be any negative effects if he leaves it for a long period of time?
Well there's always the potential for the fruit element to go off too, but that's generally less of a problem as it usually takes months.

Plus as long as the fruit stays moist by "punching down the cap" if its in a bucket or that the liquid level is kept to about an inch or less below a bung or airlock arrangement if in a carboy, then the 2 to 4 weeks which is generally long enough to extract flavour and/or colour is usually fine.

Latest posts

Back