How much Irish Moss?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hercher

Reaction score
The directions for Super Moss say to use no more than 1/4 tsp per 5 gallons. What happens if you use more?

I dunno... I have nightmares about my beer tasting the way irish moss smells. :cross:

I was wondering if more might be more effective, but also have some negative effects.

If you aren't getting the clarity you need, maybe try gelatin as well.

The LD Carlson bottles say to use a teaspoon, which is what I do and have had no ill effects from it. I get a pretty good cold break too. I would guess that too much would make your beer taste like low tide.

If you add too much you'll end up making your beer cloudier than what you started with, AND have seaweedy off flavors to deal with.
With all additions always err on the low side for safety.
A little can be good.
More is NOT better.

Before reading the directions on my LD Carlson container, I dumped all of into my 2 batch of AG. I didn't notice anything veggie like flavor wise, but I'm sure there were some off flavors that another beer snob may have picked up on.

I've wound up with a few different brands of Irish Moss at this point and they've all said 1tsp/5gal. seems to be a good rate, the beer clears pretty well after a few days in the fridge and no detectable flavor.

Oops, I see now that the OP is talking about Super Moss. I have no experience with that item, just the regular irish moss.

Back