Hefe question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tlavas

Reaction score
I have a wheat in the fermenter, it was with DME extract and Wyeast 3068. It was very aggressive at first and settled down in a couple of days and left a mess inside the carboy. Now at 11 days and the airlock has slowed to every couple of minutes. It still has a gummy Krausen on top but I suspect it may be ready to bottle. Should I move the Krausen aside and check the gravity and go from there or wait for that mess to drop?

Check gravity, it's the only way to know what the beer is doing and where it's at.

Yep, I'll check the gravity...I was more curious about the krausen lingering at 12 days...after researching it appears to be somewhat of a trait with 3068...if it's still there in a couple of days I will move it aside check the gravity and bottle if its ready...

My next batch is an oatmeal stout using West Yorkshire Ale 1469...I read it could be similar with the krausen remnants...

Update...on day 15 I checked the gravity and it was 1.01 so I moved the carboy to a location to maybe bottle in a day or so and the krausen remainder on the top of the beer began to fall in tiny pieces...the airlock started bubbling every 6 secs, but now it's back to not much...wheat beer is weird...guess I should just lax back and wait?

tlavas said:
Update...on day 15 I checked the gravity and it was 1.01 so I moved the carboy to a location to maybe bottle in a day or so and the krausen remainder on the top of the beer began to fall in tiny pieces...the airlock started bubbling every 6 secs, but now it's back to not much...wheat beer is weird...guess I should just lax back and wait?

You most likely got bubbles from simple off gassing due to movement. At 1.010 the beer is most likely done and ready to package:)

Should I wait for the particles that are dropping from the left over krausen to finish dropping or just rack to the bottling bucket and not worry about it?

I would stay with your original plan of letting it sit for a day or two before racking to the bottling bucket. If the krausen is still there just rack from under it.

Back