Love Controller 16B programming/issues output 1 always sending voltage to relay!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcb

Reaction score
I have a Love 16B controller and no matter what I do there always seems to be voltage present on output 1 which is keeping my relay constantly fired. Any guidance or troubleshooting info anyone can pass along would be greatly appreciated as I'm not experienced with these PIDs

The contacts could be welded together?

I use a Dwyer/Love controller on my Keezer and I put a QuenchArc on the output.

QuenchArc and arc snubbers are capacitors combined with a resistor.
That are used to suppress noise, suppress arcs, and to protect relay contacts from welding together.
Good Luck.

smooth said:
The contacts could be welded together?

I use a Dwyer/Love controller on my Keezer and I put a QuenchArc on the output.

QuenchArc and arc snubbers are capacitors combined with a resistor.
That are used to suppress noise, suppress arcs, and to protect relay contacts from welding together.
Good Luck.

I'm using an SSR and voltage is present from the love so do you mean the contacts within the love controller itself? I presumed that it was SS as well????

"I'm using an SSR and voltage is present from the love so do you mean the contacts within the love controller itself?"
Yes.

"I presumed that it was SS as well?"
? I think there is a small convetional relay in the love controller? though I do not know?

So if your Love controllers output was to an SSR, I don't believe you would even need to use a snubber.
If it was controlling a relay or contactor then I'd would use a snubber.

So it looks like there is constant 2.8VDC on out1 which is causing my SSR to stay on (3-32vdc relay). When out1 is actually fired the voltage goes up to about 13vdc as expected. How can I get my relay to behave the way I want (or the controller for that matter?) or do I need to find a 5vdc relay?

OK, so it looks like the whole model number is necessary on these love units as they have a myriad of options. I emailed technical support at Dwyer and they were very helpful:
The 16B-53 has two outputs. The first number ‘5’ designates that output 1 is a current output, and the second number ‘3’ designates that that output 2 is a relay output. Since output 1 is a current signal, you should expect a 4-20mA output instead of a voltage signal. The option for a voltage output would be a ‘2’. For example, a 16B-22 or 16B-23 would both have a voltage signal on output 1.

I will test this out tonight but it looks like hooking up to output 2 should net the desired result.

OK, so it looks like the whole model number is necessary on these love units as they have a myriad of options. I emailed technical support at Dwyer and they were very helpful:
The 16B-53 has two outputs. The first number ‘5’ designates that output 1 is a current output, and the second number ‘3’ designates that that output 2 is a relay output. Since output 1 is a current signal, you should expect a 4-20mA output instead of a voltage signal. The option for a voltage output would be a ‘2’. For example, a 16B-22 or 16B-23 would both have a voltage signal on output 1.

I will test this out tonight but it looks like hooking up to output 2 should net the desired result.

The plot thickens. Apparently this model love controller doesn't have a 12v source..... so the out2 is really just relay contacts. I finally got this working correctly last night by adding a 12vdc power supply and now, finally I have the relay firing when desired and not on all the time. My advice, make sure you know the options you want and what you have prior to wiring up one of these controllers as the wiring diagram on them and in the pdf is not accurate. Also to be fair the folks over at Dwyer instruments have been remarkably helpful considering that I did not buy this new - I traded a couple of burners to another HBT member for it. They worked with me until I got this issue resolved so they get two thumbs up for technical support!

Back