Single hop commercial beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bela

Reaction score
Does anybody make a single hop commercial beer? It would be nice so a guy could distinguished the flavors and aroma's of the different kinds of hops. You could buy a dozen beers same malts but with different hops.

Mikkeller did a whole series of single hop IPA's - like 19 of them I think. Haven't seen them around lately - one of the local pubs and the whole foods by me had been carrying them.

Bells two hearted is all centennial, and Three Floyd's Gummballhead is all Amarillo.

Err, Zombie Dust. All-Citra.

Also, I never thought I'd say this, but I can't wait to buy a twelve-pack of Bud Light!

I saw a single hop citra pale ale yesterday.... Can't remember the brewery who made it. I shoulda picked one up

Guys, I know there are a lot of different commercials brewery's that brew single hops beers. It needs to be the same grain bill so a guy can tell the difference. I've tried several different single hop recipe's. Centennial, cascade, Citra, Amarillo. It was all fun and the beers were OK, but IMO not as good as multiple hops. But still fun to try just to get familiar with the hop flavor.
What would be cool though if a brewer made a beer with the same grain bill but different single hops for it. Mirror Pond is good but Red Chair is excellent! And Boneyard is the cats meow!!!

Guys, I know there are a lot of different commercials brewery's that brew single hops beers. It needs to be the same grain bill so a guy can tell the difference. I've tried several different single hop recipe's. Centennial, cascade, Citra, Amarillo. It was all fun and the beers were OK, but IMO not as good as multiple hops. But still fun to try just to get familiar with the hop flavor.
What would be cool though if a brewer made a beer with the same grain bill but different single hops for it. Mirror Pond is good but Red Chair is excellent! And Boneyard is the cats meow!!!

That's what Mikkeller did.
http://brooklynbrewshop.com/themash/2-oclock-tasting-mikkeller-single-hop-series-2/

if you are ever in Wilmington, NC go check out Front St brewery (I know, it's not commercial). They did a whole series of brews using single hop

jeff180, thanks for those sites. I will check em out for sure.

engus, I don't think I'll be stopping by Wilmington, NC any time soon sense I'm on the opposite side of town, Mt. Hood, Oregon.
But I'd love to visit your state some time, its beautiful!

Full Sail Pale Bock! Willimette hops. Delicious. Spring seasonal though...

Hermitage Brewing is running a single hop IPA series all with the same grain bill. Simcoe, Galaxy, Sorachi Ace and Citra are out and about. Ahtanum was the first one and can be found if you get lucky.

Back