Trying to create a recipe from scratch, help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrodder

Reaction score
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
6 lbs Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 4 60.0 %
1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) [50.28 ml] Yeast 9 -
1 lbs Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 3 10.0 %
0.50 oz Nugget [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 16.9 IBUs
0.50 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 6 7.7 IBUs
0.50 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 7 5.6 IBUs
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 1.0 min Hop 8 0.6 IBUs
2.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 10 0.0 IBUs
2 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 20.0 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 2 10.0 %

I have 6 oz of Citra in the freezer I want to use. I would like to make a sweet, citrus style ale. Last time I tried to make somethng myself from scratch it was quaffable, but much too bitter. I have a 20 quart pot to boil in, planning on partial mashing the grains.

I am sure this needs adjustment, anyone care to give me some input?

On another note, I *really* like the Great Lakes Alchemy Hour, which will be called something else in 2014 due to copyright issues. I keep checking around to see if anyone has made a clone, haven't found anything. I figure I better get good at making my own recipes if I hope to be able to clone that one myself any time soon.

Maybe I went overboard with the Honey Malt for sweetness, maybe I could kick that back to 8oz and then add the 8oz to Crystal? I figured I would mash those in the upper range, maybe 158 or so? Might have to adjust the hop schedule a bit too.

I have 6 oz of Citra in the freezer I want to use. I would like to make a sweet, citrus style ale. Last time I tried to make somethng myself from scratch it was quaffable, but much too bitter. I have a 20 quart pot to boil in, planning on partial mashing the grains.

I am sure this needs adjustment, anyone care to give me some input?

On another note, I *really* like the Great Lakes Alchemy Hour, which will be called something else in 2014 due to copyright issues. I keep checking around to see if anyone has made a clone, haven't found anything. I figure I better get good at making my own recipes if I hope to be able to clone that one myself any time soon.

You can check my thread. I just did the same thing in early March regarding trying to create a similar recipe to Alchemy Hour.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/requesting-double-ipa-recipe-review-392717/

I brewed it in early March. I have kegged it but it is still sitting in my basement. I'll probably get it carbonated and start tasting it in a few weeks.

I used half pound honey malt. I also used more hops in the later part of the boil. I used Mosaic instead of Citra.

I dry hopped with Mosaic and Cascade.

I did have a small Nugget addition at about 15 minutes because Great Lakes posted on their website that Nugget was also used for flavor and aroma if my recollection is correct.

I have not posted the actual recipe I used, but I will within the next week.

I think you might consider using a half pound of crystal instead of the full pound. Great Lakes used Crystal 45. I think I used CaraMunich. I think the DME has crystal in it.

Anyways, I just wanted share a couple of my thoughts.

Keep me posted. I'll check back soon and see what kind of thoughts you get and how it turns out. :mug:

You can check my thread. I just did the same thing in early March regarding trying to create a similar recipe to Alchemy Hour.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/requesting-double-ipa-recipe-review-392717/

I brewed it in early March. I have kegged it but it is still sitting in my basement. I'll probably get it carbonated and start tasting it in a few weeks.

I used half pound honey malt. I also used more hops in the later part of the boil. I used Mosaic instead of Citra.

I dry hopped with Mosaic and Cascade.

I did have a small Nugget addition at about 15 minutes because Great Lakes posted on their website that Nugget was also used for flavor and aroma if my recollection is correct.

I have not posted the actual recipe I used, but I will within the next week.

I think you might consider using a half pound of crystal instead of the full pound. Great Lakes used Crystal 45. I think I used CaraMunich. I think the DME has crystal in it.

Anyways, I just wanted share a couple of my thoughts.

Keep me posted. I'll check back soon and see what kind of thoughts you get and how it turns out. :mug:

Cool, I'll check that thread. I wasn't necessarily trying to get Alchemy Hour this round, but figured I would try something with what I had in inventory to be in that league. I read the ingredients on the GLB website, but don't have a clue as to what ratios and hop schedule to try to match it. Here's some adjusting I did with recipe:

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
6 lbs Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 4 63.2 %
1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) [50.28 ml] Yeast 10 -
8.0 oz Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 3 5.3 %
0.50 oz Nugget [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 17.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 7 7.8 IBUs
0.50 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 8 3.1 IBUs
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 1.0 min Hop 9 0.6 IBUs
2.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 11 0.0 IBUs
2 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 21.1 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 2 10.5 %
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 6 3.6 IBUs

Maybe I'll kick that crystal down too, I was just looking for a sweet tasting citrus, with heavy mouthfeel. Close?

I think it looks good to me. Since there were no clones recipes, we just have to guess a reasonable grain bill and hop schedule. I bet we'll be in the ballpark and be happy with our results.

Back