3711 and Bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LakesideBrewing

Reaction score
One of my favorite yeast strains is Wyeast 3711. I use it all the time and it is a beast! Flavor wise, no issues, it makes great Saisons and Farmhouse ales. The only problem I have with it is when I bottle a beer that has been fermented with 3711. I've had 3 over carbonated beers now, all with 3711. Every other beer I brew and bottle with other yeast strains have all been perfectly carbonated.

The last batch I brewed with 3711 I really let it ferment out fully before bottling. From 1.072 all the way down to 0.995!! Completely fermented, for sure! I bottled with 5 ounces of corn sugar for 4.75 gallons and waited 2 months before trying one. It was over carbonated. :mad:

Anyone have the same issues with 3711?

Thanks,
Mike

Thanks. I've tried several different online calculators including that one. I plugged the numbers in and ended up with 5.3 ounces of sugar. This is for 3 volumes of Co2. Maybe that's my problem? Every chart I see says that a Saison should have 3.2 volumes of Co2.

Are you cold crashing at all before bottling? I found that when I put the beer through a 48 hr cold crash the yeast went a bit dorment and I had more consistent results bottle conditioning those beers.

I now keg, so I don't have to worry about this, but 3711 is a sugar eater. I love that yeast.

Back