Keezer and ekeggle build.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mopillar

Reaction score
So slowly but surely I have been getting everything together for my keezer and ekeggle build. Many long hours searching for ideas on here and Craigslist to try to find deals this is what finally came out of it all.

First run with the ekeggle tomorrow hopefully and then the waiting game to keg it all up. Been slacking on my brewing because of all the projects. About to make up for that now. Here are some pics of how things came along.

ForumRunner_20130423_131510.png

ForumRunner_20130423_131532.png

ForumRunner_20130423_131605.jpg

ForumRunner_20130423_131654.png

ForumRunner_20130423_131712.jpg

ForumRunner_20130423_131731.png

ForumRunner_20130423_131746.png

First run with the ekeggle tomorrow hopefully and then the waiting game to keg it all up. Been slacking on my brewing because of all the projects. About to make up for that now. Here are some pics of how things came along.

Is there a write up on how you built your ekeggle? I am looking to do the same thing.

Is your eKeggle running 240v or? If not, I'll be interested in how you went about making it.

Do you have any pics or info on your epoxy process? What epoxy did you use? I'm about to do something very similar to my keezer.

Do you have any pics or info on your epoxy process? What epoxy did you use? I'm about to do something very similar to my keezer.

Sorry for the slow response. I used Evirotex Lite. I got it from a craft store when they would have 50% off coupons. It is very easy to work with as long as you follow the directions and continue to build up the layers to the thickness you want. Actually quite forgiving stuff.

Is your eKeggle running 240v or? If not, I'll be interested in how you went about making it.

It is on 120v on two separate circuits. Mainly just stole ideas from around here. Decided I needed to go with the 1500w elements as the place I rent is older and has 15amp breakers plus we move quite a bit so never know what might be in the next place. It has worked well for me as I have brewed 3 batches with it now.

Is there a write up on how you built your ekeggle? I am looking to do the same thing.

Electric brewing part of the forum is where I found all the information I used. I won't even attempt to explain my process because others have explained it so much better than I ever could! If anyone does have any specific questions though I would certainly try my best to help.

Here is a short run down of what I ended up doing.

I sourced two 1500w elements online. I got the kettle parts from bargainfittings.com. Went with weldless because of no access to a welder. The also have the drill bit and nuts for the element. The bit is quite a bit cheaper than buying from a big box store. Everything else was purchased from Lowes. Had them cut to length the wiring and brought in the element to find the pvc pieces that I needed. JB weld and silicon to waterproof the wiring with the ground wire attached to the keg.

I also purchased the GFCI plugs that plug into any outlet. This way I can take this and brew with others fairly easy without having to look for 2 GFCI outlets there. It was actually cheaper to buy it that way than to make a box with one in it.

I insulated it after my first test run to help retain more heat for faster boils. Can't see it but double insulated on the bottom too.

My process now is I heat my water for mashing/batch sparging while collecting everything in a bucket or pot. Then drain excess water and pour everything back in and get to boiling. Has worked great for me so far but only 3 batches in.

About how long does it take to get 11 gal up to mash temp with the two elements full on?

I have an 8gal EHLT with a 2000W 120V element that takes about 50 minutes to get to 175. I'm going to use the parts from that to convert build an eKeggle. My plan was to add a 1500W element so I don't have to have two 20amp circuits, I can use the current 20amp and augment with one of my other 15 amps. I too am boiling with propane. Eventually I'll go with a PID for set it and forget temp control but for now it's full on power and watch the temp.

Thanks.

About how long does it take to get 11 gal up to mash temp with the two elements full on?

I have an 8gal EHLT with a 2000W 120V element that takes about 50 minutes to get to 175. I'm going to use the parts from that to convert build an eKeggle. My plan was to add a 1500W element so I don't have to have two 20amp circuits, I can use the current 20amp and augment with one of my other 15 amps. I too am boiling with propane. Eventually I'll go with a PID for set it and forget temp control but for now it's full on power and watch the temp.

Thanks.

Last batch I had 10 gallons in there and it took about 35-40 min from cold tap water (not sure of starting temp) to get to that 175F number. I am also assuming on the high side of time as I don't remember exactly how long it took. I do know that I am glad to be away from propane in my process now.

Back