Reviews on Millar's Barley Mill?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't seen reviews on it yet. From some previous threads people have speculated that it's a knockoff of CS/MM mills. Folks have been hesitant to buy them also because of lack of details on the website.

It looks similar to the Barley Crusher without the shipping (free) and $30 less than the advertised price, of course you need to make the wood bottom over the bucket. No Biggie for that, may be one reason its that much less. But I cannot see the Warranty, the Barley Crusher states lifetime right? or Am I missing something here. Im gonna order the Millar's today i seen other videos of how you actually change the settings very similar to barley crusher. What do you think. at $99 i think its worth a shot.

I didn't find one for $99, but I just picked up their B3 model from their website for $134 including shipping. It's only a 1.5" roller like the Barley Crusher and cheapest Monster Mill model, but has a 7" roller length and most importantly has stainless-steel rollers. The detail page on their website even says the rollers are hardened. On Amazon.com, the B3 model by Millars has almost a 5-star rating with 11 users, and a common comment is that they have good customer service.

I placed my order today (finally sold off some old car parts!) so I'll be sure to make a review of it once it shows up.

Please do and share the review! I would like to buy a mill myself but for my occasional brewing I can't justify more than the $135 including shipping and the hopper (as much as I'd love to buy a MM or Crankandstein...).

Yeah - a comment I read on another thread here (started many years ago) was that for the price of a good MM or Crankandstein model, you could buy THREE barley crushers or Millars mills.

The fact that these are (at least according to their website) hardened stainless steel rollers was what ultimately sold me. The only thing I plan on doing is fabricating an extension for the hopper, probably using plexiglass.

For now I just sit back and wait for the UPS guy!

I have a Millar mill from amazon, paid $99. Works perfectly, getting 80% efficiency, great consistent crush, easy to adjust. I took it to the group brew day and blew through 130 lbs of grain no problem, used it for 3-4 other batches just fine. Highly recommended.

How long did it take to get shipped? Was the "gunk" (apparently some vegetable oil) really that hard to remove? I just bought (2) 55 lbs bags of grain and the need for a mill is increasing if I don't want to take it to the LHBS every time.

How long did it take to get shipped? Was the "gunk" (apparently some vegetable oil) really that hard to remove? I just bought (2) 55 lbs bags of grain and the need for a mill is increasing if I don't want to take it to the LHBS every time.

DOn't remember how long it took but not long to ship, and the gunk wasn't bad at all, easy to clean.

Thanks! I just pulled the trigger and ordered one today. Based on the price ($99) did you get the B2 model? Apparently there have been significant improvements with the current B3 model.

Yes looks like I have the B2 model, and I was perfectly happy with it until I saw the B3. Damn, that thing is way better looking, longer rollers, bigger hopper, now I want the new one haha. YOu will be happy with your purchase.

Just got my B3 model in today! Actually it showed up yesterday but no one was home to sign for it.

I didn't really think that it'd come "some assembly required," but it make sense. I may not get around to assembling it until Thursday or Friday.

For now, I kinda wish the packaging was a smidge better - the actual crusher unit came in a cloth bag with stuff rattling around inside - turns out they were super-tiny screws that fell out when I investigated. I hope I recovered them all... Also I didn't immediately see any instructions for assembling, though I didn't completely unwrap each piece yet (and I can't imagine it's that tricky anyways...) Also the box got damaged a bit, but that's probably the post office's fault. Everything inside seems unscathed, but I kinda hope nothing important fell out...

Anyways, more to come soon.

Just got my B3 model in today! Actually it showed up yesterday but no one was home to sign for it.

I didn't really think that it'd come "some assembly required," but it make sense. I may not get around to assembling it until Thursday or Friday.

For now, I kinda wish the packaging was a smidge better - the actual crusher unit came in a cloth bag with stuff rattling around inside - turns out they were super-tiny screws that fell out when I investigated. I hope I recovered them all... Also I didn't immediately see any instructions for assembling, though I didn't completely unwrap each piece yet (and I can't imagine it's that tricky anyways...) Also the box got damaged a bit, but that's probably the post office's fault. Everything inside seems unscathed, but I kinda hope nothing important fell out...

Anyways, more to come soon.

I read in several reviews that the packaging looks like the delivery truck ran over it. I hope the rattling parts didn't scratch or damage anything inside!!! Send pics, too, please :mug:

UPDATE: Glad I ordered when I did. It's on backorder until end of May now AND the price increased by $10!

The mill showed up at my house exactly 7 days after I placed the order. In contrast to the experience of others the package was not damaged at all and everything was neatly packaged with no wiggle room. All items were either wrapped or strapped to a piece of cardboard:
Millars_Mill.jpg

There was also no gunk or oil on the mill that I had to remove; everything was clean and dry! I wonder if they have different packaging stations?!??

Either way, I got to try it out this weekend. I adjusted the gap somewhere half-way between the 0.050 and 0.025 mark and tried dry and conditioned malt. I preferred the conditioned malt so I went with that. The crush was still coarse but I was afraid to go lower due to more shredding of the husks (and I didn't want to risk a stuck sparge; might play around with it more next time). I started with the supplied manual crank but soon realized a drill would be better. My 18V Ryobi did a decent job but I was afraid to break it so I used my 1/2" hammer drill set to "1" and no hammer option. I also found that you need to use it in "reverse" mode, i.e. counter-clockwise. Otherwise the grains will not get crushed and seem to slip right through the rollers. I had not problems except for keeping a steady slow speed. If I took my measurements correctly I got a mash efficiency of ~70% which is not too shabby for my 2nd all-grain. Definitely room for improvement though!

I can say that, after reading a lot of threads on the Monster Mill and Barley Crusher that I had none of their problems. The supplied hopper works great, it comes with aluminum rails and the hand crank, and the adjustment doesn't get screwed up during the milling process. I still need to work on the details how to mount it properly but that's an individual problem.
Although I have no other grain mill to compare this one to I am very happy with my purchase and I am glad I didn't spend twice as much on another mill.

Well, I did get my mill assembled, but had a problem come up pretty quick - on the bottom side of the roller unit there are holes that are used to mount the aluminum rails with supplied hardware... Except, my mill only had one hole!!! The hole opposite the handle was completely missing.

I contacted their customer service (obviously a small company as it's just Todd's personal email address.) He responded pretty quickly with a list of options, the easiest being "fix it yourself and I'll send you some free coffee." He also offered to let me return it, but I didn't want the hassle or the expense. So I got it fixed myself (actually free of charge) and am waiting to see if Todd will make good on his offer to send some coffee.

I'm putting in a grain order this week and will try out my mill this weekend.

Well, I did get my mill assembled, but had a problem come up pretty quick - on the bottom side of the roller unit there are holes that are used to mount the aluminum rails with supplied hardware... Except, my mill only had one hole!!! The hole opposite the handle was completely missing.

I contacted their customer service (obviously a small company as it's just Todd's personal email address.) He responded pretty quickly with a list of options, the easiest being "fix it yourself and I'll send you some free coffee." He also offered to let me return it, but I didn't want the hassle or the expense. So I got it fixed myself (actually free of charge) and am waiting to see if Todd will make good on his offer to send some coffee.

I'm putting in a grain order this week and will try out my mill this weekend.

Maybe you got a returned item? I asked Todd about the best way to attach a power drill to the shaft b/c mine kept slipping (albeit very slightly). He replied quickly but didn't have any suggestions other than tightening the chuck more or filing the end flat. Both valid points! Please share your experience; I bought a set of feeler gauges to measure the gap so I know what I'm dealing with!!

I've had my Millar's Mill for a few months and am happy overall with the performance for the price. When I ordered it from Amazon it said it included a grain scoop but arrived without one. I ordered a scoop from another vendor to be able to get up quickly, and sent an email to Todd letting him know about the omission. He sent me a scoop out separately, along with a pound of some pretty dang good coffee. Good customer service.

i am seriously considering the B3 model. anyone have any feedback on that particular model?

See my post #15 above. I like it but I also have no other mill to compare it to. At least it costs only half of comparable models considering you also get the hopper, hand crank and aluminum rails.

See my post #15 above. I like it but I also have no other mill to compare it to. At least it costs only half of comparable models considering you also get the hopper, hand crank and aluminum rails.

Ah, thanks, i wasn't sure you got the B# model. guess i'm going to give it a try.

Maybe you got a returned item? I asked Todd about the best way to attach a power drill to the shaft b/c mine kept slipping (albeit very slightly). He replied quickly but didn't have any suggestions other than tightening the chuck more or filing the end flat. Both valid points! Please share your experience; I bought a set of feeler gauges to measure the gap so I know what I'm dealing with!!

Interesting you mention the gap...

I finally got ready to use my mill last night, but I had already been messing with the gap adjustment, so I knew it wasn't "factory set" anymore. I got my feeler gauge (I have a pretty nice one since I used to work at an auto restoration shop) and select .038 as a starting point. For the LIFE of me, I could not get the rollers set! I'd turn the adjustment knob so that rollers were snug against the gauge, and then tighten the screw. First, it would almost instantly spin the adjustment knob on be, so I was trying to hold the feeler gauge, the adjustment knob and the tightening screw all at once... When I would finally get it set, I'd pull the feeler gauge out and then for the life of me, couldn't slide it in again (right, right - have fun with that one...)

And when I'd get both ends set, I'd often have the same problem - the feeler gauge would "fit" at one end, and not at the other... It was driving me insane. And then I noticed something... I spun the free-wheeling roller by hand and watched the gap betwen the rollers... IT MOVED. The free-wheeling roller is NOT center on it's shaft. As it spins, the gap changes. I can't tell you specifically by how much, but if I had to guess, it's at least 3-or-so thousandths of an inch. Definitely enough to see by eye.

I don't know if something like this is normal, or what. I also don't know if it's worth bugging Millars about or not. I mean I realize I'm only crushing grain here, but what the heck do I set the thing at, and how will I ever know if I'm on the "tight" or "loose" end of the spectrum...?

Interesting you mention the gap...

I finally got ready to use my mill last night, but I had already been messing with the gap adjustment, so I knew it wasn't "factory set" anymore. I got my feeler gauge (I have a pretty nice one since I used to work at an auto restoration shop) and select .038 as a starting point. For the LIFE of me, I could not get the rollers set! I'd turn the adjustment knob so that rollers were snug against the gauge, and then tighten the screw. First, it would almost instantly spin the adjustment knob on be, so I was trying to hold the feeler gauge, the adjustment knob and the tightening screw all at once... When I would finally get it set, I'd pull the feeler gauge out and then for the life of me, couldn't slide it in again (right, right - have fun with that one...)

And when I'd get both ends set, I'd often have the same problem - the feeler gauge would "fit" at one end, and not at the other... It was driving me insane. And then I noticed something... I spun the free-wheeling roller by hand and watched the gap betwen the rollers... IT MOVED. The free-wheeling roller is NOT center on it's shaft. As it spins, the gap changes. I can't tell you specifically by how much, but if I had to guess, it's at least 3-or-so thousandths of an inch. Definitely enough to see by eye.

I don't know if something like this is normal, or what. I also don't know if it's worth bugging Millars about or not. I mean I realize I'm only crushing grain here, but what the heck do I set the thing at, and how will I ever know if I'm on the "tight" or "loose" end of the spectrum...?

My 2 cents on this are that it might be the diamond pattern that is creating the illusion of a gap change. Actually, the real gap might change based on the "spikes" and "valleys" of the diamonds... I had the same experience but I didn't worry too much. For me it's the outcome (i.e. coarseness of grain crush) that counts.

On a side note, what would be the best way to get flour out of the knurls???

My 2 cents on this are that it might be the diamond pattern that is creating the illusion of a gap change. Actually, the real gap might change based on the "spikes" and "valleys" of the diamonds... I had the same experience but I didn't worry too much. For me it's the outcome (i.e. coarseness of grain crush) that counts.

On a side note, what would be the best way to get flour out of the knurls???

I hear what you're saying, but trust me - I spun the roller pretty quick and you could clearly see a "shift". The driven roller doesn't do this. I agree that it probably isn't really a big deal, but it sure makes setting the gap a total pain in the arse...

I'd use an old toothbrush to dust out the rollers. We never throw away toothbrushes... :)

I did my first crush - realized I couldn't use my power drill because it's a one-speed-fits-all at 1200 rpm. Probably a good way to make some smoked malt though... :cross: I compared it to the crush from my LHBS and it sure looks good to me - lots of endosperm visible, but still plenty of (empty) husks for the grain bed. I was actually thinking of tossing it in my sifter to get some of the flour out - I'm sure that's not necessary though. To be safe however I did run it through a second time just to make sure that I got everything. Even with the hand crank, it eats a pound of grain pretty quick.

I hear what you're saying, but trust me - I spun the roller pretty quick and you could clearly see a "shift". The driven roller doesn't do this. I agree that it probably isn't really a big deal, but it sure makes setting the gap a total pain in the arse...

I'd use an old toothbrush to dust out the rollers. We never throw away toothbrushes... :)

I did my first crush - realized I couldn't use my power drill because it's a one-speed-fits-all at 1200 rpm. Probably a good way to make some smoked malt though... :cross: I compared it to the crush from my LHBS and it sure looks good to me - lots of endosperm visible, but still plenty of (empty) husks for the grain bed. I was actually thinking of tossing it in my sifter to get some of the flour out - I'm sure that's not necessary though. To be safe however I did run it through a second time just to make sure that I got everything. Even with the hand crank, it eats a pound of grain pretty quick.

Yeah, I was amazed by the speed of that thing! Compared to the LHBS mill it's blazing fast! I attached my hammer drill to it and although I have a hard time keeping it at the right speed it works great. I conditioned my malts though since it looks even better. I hope to brew again on Memorial day and hopefully I'll remember to take pictures! Happy brewing!:rockin:

Well I'll say this - after reading some posts here this morning, I went home at lunch, set the mill to about .024 instead of .037, and re-crushed my grain. And 4 pounds of base malt by hand crank alone only took 60 seconds.

I don't like that at .024 thousandths, the knob on the gap setting reads HIGHER than .025. I also don't like that now my non-driven roller seems to have a spot that's rough - it doesn't free-spin anymore.

BUT, I obtained an efficiency of 95.1% tonight, according to Beersmith.

I'm going to keep testing this mill. I just hope it doesn't fail on me.

Well I'll say this - after reading some posts here this morning, I went home at lunch, set the mill to about .024 instead of .037, and re-crushed my grain. And 4 pounds of base malt by hand crank alone only took 60 seconds.

I don't like that at .024 thousandths, the knob on the gap setting reads HIGHER than .025. I also don't like that now my non-driven roller seems to have a spot that's rough - it doesn't free-spin anymore.

BUT, I obtained an efficiency of 95.1% tonight, according to Beersmith.

I'm going to keep testing this mill. I just hope it doesn't fail on me.

I'd never trust a scale on a cheap product. It's a nice idea but the markings can't be accurate; they're more a guideline ;) I guess based on your experience I might tighten my mill a bit too!

Have been reading all the comments on here and perusing their website as I am in the market for a mill. Sent the company an email today asking what kind of warranty they offer as I didn't see this info on the website either. Will let everyone know when/if I hear back from them.

So, as an update, heard back from Todd regarding the warranty. According to him, 30 days warranty if being using commercially, 1 year "limited" warranty if homebrew use. I think this is a significant issue and is going to have me looking at other options. Its a significant investment of cash. I plan on having it for a long time, using it heavily, and I want to know that whoever I am buying it from is going to stand behind it for as long as I own it. YMMV, but I would be interested in folks that have purchased one already keeping us updated on how things are going.

So, as an update, heard back from Todd regarding the warranty. According to him, 30 days warranty if being using commercially, 1 year "limited" warranty if homebrew use. I think this is a significant issue and is going to have me looking at other options. Its a significant investment of cash. I plan on having it for a long time, using it heavily, and I want to know that whoever I am buying it from is going to stand behind it for as long as I own it. YMMV, but I would be interested in folks that have purchased one already keeping us updated on how things are going.

You've got to buy what's best for your needs! I'd have bought a Crankandstein if I knew I'd use it more frequently. But with my occasional brewing I just couldn't justify at least twice the expense :)

Oh, I agree completely, and dont plan on going ultra top of the line either, but 140 (what they are going for on his site right now) is still a lot of dough, and I would expect him to stand behind his product more for all that he touts its superiority and durability. Everybody has to make up their own mind, just wanted to put the warranty info up there since it was mentioned earlier and its not on the site.

I did my second crush yesterday and I noticed the same problem that you described. It becomes very obvious at a very narrow gap that all the sudden closes when turning the roller. I sent Todd an email and he asked me to send it back since it might have been due to the cooling process or such. I wish I had your efficacy! I actually took a short video of my crushing the grain:

Last edited by a moderator:
Well that's good to hear. I honestly don't feel like sending mine back - too much freakin' hassle. If it becomes a problem in the near future I'll bug him about it, but I'm actually thinking of opening up my gap a little, as I got a LOT of flour and couldn't filter it all out. I'll sacrifice a little efficiency if it means a clearer, better tasting beer.

I'll be curious to see if the replacement mill he sends you is any better/different.

Well that's good to hear. I honestly don't feel like sending mine back - too much freakin' hassle. If it becomes a problem in the near future I'll bug him about it, but I'm actually thinking of opening up my gap a little, as I got a LOT of flour and couldn't filter it all out. I'll sacrifice a little efficiency if it means a clearer, better tasting beer.

I'll be curious to see if the replacement mill he sends you is any better/different.

Yeah, I had too much flour too and ended up with ~1-5+ gal of cold break :( Some got into the fermenter but oh well.... I'll send it back since I don't get permission to brew for another 4 weeks or so anyway; that way I'm not even tempted :mug:

For those that have not purchased a mill yet, I just want to make you aware of the response I got back from Todd on a request for information on the B3. I visited the site and was very interested in the B3 pre-order. The home page had an ad with the unit at $129.99 with free shipping and a free aluminum scoop for the grains, amongst a few other freebies. When I tried to click on the link I got no response and proceeded to find the item through other means. The price was now at $139.00 and did not include the scoop. Not a huge deal, but enough to send a request for information to Todd to find out what was wrong with the link. I was told that it was a glitch that was related to the older B2 model and the $139.00 was accurate and it did not include a scoop. The ad clearly stated Pre-order of the B3 and had the above listed items as freebies. By the time I went back to check the web page the original ad had been pulled down. Imagine the surprise. I had actually copied the page to send him as a guide to what I was looking at. See the attached.
Anyway, the entire interaction really caused me to question the company and what would be their response if any warranty issues were to arise, so I will be looking at the barley crusher with lifetime warranty. I'm just amazed at all of this over $9.01 and an aluminum scoop.

View attachment Pre-order.pdf

For those that have not purchased a mill yet, I just want to make you aware of the response I got back from Todd on a request for information on the B3. I visited the site and was very interested in the B3 pre-order. The home page had an ad with the unit at $129.99 with free shipping and a free aluminum scoop for the grains, amongst a few other freebies. When I tried to click on the link I got no response and proceeded to find the item through other means. The price was now at $139.00 and did not include the scoop. Not a huge deal, but enough to send a request for information to Todd to find out what was wrong with the link. I was told that it was a glitch that was related to the older B2 model and the $139.00 was accurate and it did not include a scoop. The ad clearly stated Pre-order of the B3 and had the above listed items as freebies. By the time I went back to check the web page the original ad had been pulled down. Imagine the surprise. I had actually copied the page to send him as a guide to what I was looking at. See the attached.
Anyway, the entire interaction really caused me to question the company and what would be their response if any warranty issues were to arise, so I will be looking at the barley crusher with lifetime warranty. I'm just amazed at all of this over $9.01 and an aluminum scoop.

I think it's bad that they didn't update their website to reflect the newest promotions but I wouldn't necessarily condemn the entire company because of that. Everyone makes copy&paste mistakes... That said, have you checked how companies with Lifetime Warranties handle warranty claims? I haven't but I'm really intrigued to hear about it! When I hear "Lifetime Warranty" I usually think that they'll find a way to not honor it... I know I got very fast response every time I had to contact Todd. However, if the replacement rollers are also out of alignment then I consider returning the entire mill. Good luck finding the right mill! Let us know what you decided on :mug:

I think it's bad that they didn't update their website to reflect the newest promotions but I wouldn't necessarily condemn the entire company because of that. Everyone makes copy&paste mistakes... That said, have you checked how companies with Lifetime Warranties handle warranty claims? I haven't but I'm really intrigued to hear about it! When I hear "Lifetime Warranty" I usually think that they'll find a way to not honor it... I know I got very fast response every time I had to contact Todd. However, if the replacement rollers are also out of alignment then I consider returning the entire mill. Good luck finding the right mill! Let us know what you decided on :mug:

I fully understand the issue of making a mistake. I work in HVAC sales. When I have made mistakes in the past I have had to abide by what price I had given or advertised, not blame it on a "glitch". All that needed to be done was to tell me that it was a mistake, not try to provide a cover story and quickly eliminate the evidence. I don't condemn the entire company, I am just raising awareness to the way my particular issue was handled as well as the red flags that went off in my head.
As far as the "lifetime warranty" goes, I have not checked into it but will be looking into this further before I make a move. I was actually sold on the Millar Mill and was going to purchase tonight until this occurred.
I guess the point that I'm trying to make is that IF a company or individual is willing to respond to a customer issue that could be a potential sale in the way my issue was handled then it's not someone I really feel comfortable dealing with and wanted others to be aware so that intelligent decisions could be made based on the experiences of others. It's not just the sale, it's service after the sale and in this case it was the service before the sale that went sour for me.

On edit: I'm not saying 100% that I wouldn't still purchase this mill, but do have reservations about it now. Could've been a done deal if handled properly.

Anyway, the entire interaction really caused me to question the company and what would be their response if any warranty issues were to arise, so I will be looking at the barley crusher with lifetime warranty.
Here is an old thread on the earlier Millar's Mill. I've been using mine for a while now and have no complaints with its function. However, I'd never do business with the company again and would discourage others. The shady, deceptive advertising really turned me off to them.

Here is an old thread on the earlier Millar's Mill. I've been using mine for a while now and have no complaints with its function. However, I'd never do business with the company again and would discourage others. The shady, deceptive advertising really turned me off to them.

As I stated earlier, I have to send the roller part of the mill back because it's out of alignment. If the replacement doesn't work right either I'll return the whole thing for a refund. Maybe their forte is coffee not making hardware... :rockin:

Or wood ovens or whatever else he has his hand in. Glad you guys linked to the older thread that I hadn't seen yet. Based on my and others interactions with them, and all that BS about the materials and construction that he was attempting to sell, probably going to steer clear, but funny please keep up posted on how he handles the return and what the replaced product looks like. Is it going back to him on his dime, or yours?

Latest posts

Back