Are Plastic Pop/Soda Bottles good?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigjack68

Reaction score
Just wondering if plastic pop/soda bottles are good for long term storage of hard cider. I know that ideally glass is the way to go but i'd like to save a few bucks if I can.

I'd say go ahead and try it. I understand about wanting to save a buck.

I don't know if I would put an expensive batch of mead/wine/imperial stout in plastic bottles...but something I would consume in a few months shouldn't be an issue.

Cider will keep a couple of months in a plastic bottle but then will oxidise too much. Plastic is ok for drinking quick but no good for aging.

Just wondering if plastic pop/soda bottles are good for long term storage of hard cider. I know that ideally glass is the way to go but i'd like to save a few bucks if I can.

funny seeing this, I haven't collected enough beer bottles and will be doing this tonight or tomorrow! I know they sell some cider or liquor in plastic bottles at the store now.

Did anyone catch the article on the opening page? We were using plastic soda bottles even before the PET days, can we say in the late 80s early 90s. we were using extract brews. We had beers that we saved for well over 2 years with no problem. You have to keep in a dark storage but they handle more pressure adn they don't break. Good Luck

Latest posts

Back