No head.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickel23

Reaction score
I brewed a brown ale that sat 3 weeks in primary and two weeks in bottles. The beer tastes great, but has no head at all. I like a little foam on the pour. Is there a reason? Any suggestions on my next brew?

need more info...how primed? btw, just for fun, I added some (1/4 cup) maltodextrin to my English brown ale this time.....nice lacing indeed.

I would say that you need more bottle conditioning time for the carbonation to really develop. Especially if the bottles were stored in a cool place. I usually leave the bottles in the main part of our house where it's 66-70 f throughout the day. I leave them there for at least 3 weeks. Then I put a few bottles in the fridge and will crack ne after 2-3 days of being cooled.

I thought for sure this thread had something to do with you getting married six months ago.

Post a recipe and someone will tell you what you should have added or done.

Lol. I used the standard 5 ounces of priming sugar. I will let them Sit for another week or two and see where we are at. Being my first brew, I wasn't sure if I did something wrong.

how did you do the priming? put it in the bucket first before the beer? stir it?

that would be more of a carbonation issue & not a head issue.

most times it's the glass, fermentation vessel, and/or bottles has some residual soap/cleaner/oily film that kills the head retention.

They dont sound fully carbed yet. I think 5 oz may be a little overcarbed a bit much for a brown with exactly 5 gallons of beer,so maybe expect it to carb more - 2 weeks may not be enough especially if your temps are under 70 although swirling or agitating them a bit could help speed carbonation- I just let them sit and form a nice tight cake and clear well .Time usually has always done the trick for me,as well as a well rinsed glass and good carbonation.A little wheat or barley flakes can go a long way as well or carapils/dextrin malts etc... Flaked- about anything helps(I preferr wheat/barley flakes/oats sometimes-even toasted oats-yum) just dont use too much of them or you get haze if that matters to you. A few certain flaked aduncts could also dry/thin/haze out your beer also especially if overused.

Back