Did I lose this batch of beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
On Sunday I made an extract kit of English Brown Ale from Brewers Best.
Mistakes;
1.) I tried boiling the full amount, 6 gals, on the stove. Could get it hot enough to boil but only if I kept the lid on the whole time, So I didn't lose enough water through evaporation. Had about 5.25 gals of wort when finished the boil.
2.) I rehydrated the yeast before I added it to the wort. This made the yeast start fermenting sooner and harder than my first batch.
3.) A well meaning individual told me that I need to keep the new beer/wort warm, I put the first batch in the basement at about 65F, which increased the action of the yeast.
4.) i went out of town yesterday and while i was gone I had a blowout. My son took the carboy and put it outside with no airlock or stopper in it.

I tasted it this morning and it smelled and tasted ok at first but after a minute or two it got sour on the back of my tongue.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

How warm did the wort itself get when it was outside? High fermentation temperatures may cause off flavors.

It is probably ok since the off gassing co2 should keep out any contaminates.

Let it go and hope for the best. I suggest using a blow-off tube at the start of every fermentation.

It's a length of tubing that's made to fit the airlock grommet. Then into a jug partly filled with water & a splash of starsan. This allows more co2 & krausen blow off than an airlock can during initial fermentation. & no airlock & maybe the lid popped outside could've allowed some wild yeast to get in. That can cause souring,kinda like Belgian beers.

biohazard-brewing said:
Mistakes;
1.) I tried boiling the full amount, 6 gals, on the stove. Could get it hot enough to boil but only if I kept the lid on the whole time, So I didn't lose enough water through evaporation. Had about 5.25 gals of wort when finished the boil.
2.) I rehydrated the yeast before I added it to the wort. This made the yeast start fermenting sooner and harder than my first batch.
3.) A well meaning individual told me that I need to keep the new beer/wort warm, I put the first batch in the basement at about 65F, which increased the action of the yeast.
4.) i went out of town yesterday and while i was gone I had a blowout. My son took the carboy and put it outside with no airlock or stopper in it.

I tasted it this morning and it smelled and tasted ok at first but after a minute or two it got sour on the back of my tongue.

The first 3 steps aren't mistakes!! You'll probably lose .25 gal or more to trub/sediment, rehydrating your yeast is a good thing also a quick start to fermentation is also good and lastly 65 is a great temp to ferment an ale..., aside from the blowout your doing fine!!!! Cheers!!

Mistakes;

Without getting a rolling boil WITHOUT the lid on you did not drive off enough DMS precursers.
These are described as cooked corn or appley off flavors.
Does it feel "palate coating" almost thick or syrupy, butter-like? This could be from diacetyl.
This is a link i frequent a lot to get an idea of some off flavors and how there caused

He just brewed this 2 days ago.... My first few stovetop boils didn't get rolling they did boil and I never had an off flavor. (I'm outside now on LP)

Ya.... figure out how much you can put in your pot and still have it boil then ad the remaining water once you get down under a 80-90 degrees.

When I extract brewed I would boil some water the night before, let it cool down, put it in gallon freezer bags, and freeze it.

Once my beer got down around 85 (as cool as I could in the Summer) I would drop in the frozen bags of ice.

Since where I live the tap water is good I would spry water straight from the sprayer on the sink to top it off... I did not worry about the taste of that water since such a little bit was being used.

Summer: Cast my yeast at 80 and put the bucket in a cool place.

Winter or High Gravity: Cast my yeast at the bottom of its range and let it warm up...

Good Luck and happy brewing...

DPB

Latest posts

Back