Help converting Extract to All-Grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnK93

Reaction score
Hello all,
I recently brewed an partial mash APA that I was pretty happy with, but I'm moving to all grain to save a little money and for the fun of doing it. I'd like to convert this recipe to all-grain and maybe tweak it a little bit, but I'm looking for a little help in setting the grain bill. The extract was:
Extra Light DME - 33.3%
Pale Liquid Extract - 44.4%
Munich light - 11.1%
Carapils - 5.6%
Crystal 10 - 5.6%

For the all grain, I was thinking:
American 2 row - 40%
Marris Otter Pale - 40%
Munich Light - 10%
Carapils - 5%
Crystal 10 - 5%

Does it make sense to use both 2-row and marris otter as the base malt, or is it usually one or the other? I'm looking to increase the malt complexity just a little bit over the extract batch.

Thanks,
John

If you are advancing to all grain,get the brew software.I use, and get decent results with Beersmith. Price is reasonable too.As for malt complexity?
Malt forward-More complex.
Hop forward-Clean malt profile to showcase hops.

Yeah, I've been using Beersmith. It's really a terrible interface, but it gets the job done and I've yet to find anything better.

My question is really what grains I would use as a substitute for extra light DME and pale liquid extract, and whether adding a little variety to the base malts is common. In looking at recipes, it seems that this is fairly common.

Thanks,
John

I would take into account the particular style I was trying to convert. For your APA the substitutions look good to me. On the other hand if you were converting an extract lager or Belgian recipe that called for extra light DME I'd suggest using pilsner malt.

Mixing base malts is common, depending on what you're after. MO will give a little more bready flavor than the 2-row. I'll do APA's and IPA's with all MO, all 2-row, or a mix sometimes based on what I have on hand. Depending on the rest of the recipe I find the difference can be subtle or really apparent. You can experiment for yourself and see what you like - maybe make this one as is then next time try all 2-row or all MO.
:mug:

I recommend picking one base grain. For american pale ale use 2-row. If you get a grain mill you can buy 2-row in 50lb sacks. Buying grains and hops and bulk and harvesting yeast will reduce the cost of each batch.

I use the $1 brew pal app for creating and saving recipes and for timers during the brew day.
70% efficiency would be a good target for your first AG batch.

Thanks...I've figured out the amount of grains to use, just considering the options for the base. I've already done my first all grain and hit about 70%, so I'm pretty happy with that. I thought about buying in bulk, but I would only want to buy the base malt in bulk, I'd have to find someplace to store it, and I'd have to buy a mill. It seems easier, considering I'd have to go to the local shop to buy any specialty grains anyway, to just buy the base and have them mill it there. That's my plan for the foreseeable future, anyway.
I'll check out the brew pal app...thanks for the suggestions.

John

Back