My Master Bath

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motobrewer

I'm no atheist scientist, but...
Reaction score
Haven't been around here (at least, in the actual brewing forums) in a long time, and here's why:

I'm not the best with taking pictures but you can get the idea.

bathroom demo.jpg

IMG_0221.jpg

IMG_0313.jpg

IMG_0314.jpg

IMG_0318.jpg

thanks. i'm pretty proud of it. my dad gave me a ton of help as well.

i've never tiled before, but it went pretty smoothly, as we had pretty large tiles.

there's in-floor heating as well.

I'm gonna have to lock this thread down so my wife doesn't see it and get any ideas

Misplaced_Canuck said:
I must be a visionary: Why hasn't anyone thought about putting the shower's control offset from the shower head? That way you can start the shower (to let the water warm up) without getting wet. I know it would look a bit strange but... It would be a nice functional touch.

MC

My dad and I discussed this at length. We ended up leaving it because....well....it would have been more work to route it thro the studs and back.

But honestly with the no door thing it's not an issue. I don't get wet at all from turning on the shower.

motobrewer said:
My dad and I discussed this at length. We ended up leaving it because....well....it would have been more work to route it thro the studs and back.

But honestly with the no door thing it's not an issue. I don't get wet at all from turning on the shower.

That's the best way, I've done them all kinds of ways, opposite, 90 degrees, overhead. Other than the traditional, overhead is the only way I would do it. Way to much work and look out if you have to ever repair a leak. You can always get an extension to get the shower head out over the controls.

Just keep the drain free of hair buildup and your threshold will be fine. I've seen them all over the world like that.

SWEET!!

I'm about to do mine also but it doesn't have the potential to be as nice as that.

I was gonna ask if that was kerdi I saw peeking out, but you answered my question before I could ask it! Looks great! Wish I was to the point of tiling in my project - still slogging through electrical and plumbing.

Thanks for the info, mine is currently a 2'6" square; kinda tight for my homebrewer physique. Not sure if I should just make it longer but the same width or enlarge the width and go longer, but at least you got me a starting point to think about. I've used that schluter system under my kitchen tiles and that stuff is handy!

Best,

36" or so. I used the Schluter Kerdi system (http://www.schluter.com/5288.aspx), 32"x60" pre-form pan but I had to extend it to fit. It worked pretty well.

This is a crazy off topic topic, but thanks for sharing! Looks like nice work!

• What was in that space prior?
  • How much square footage did you have to work with?
  • It looks like you insulated the walls like they are "outside" walls, is it a garage on the other side?
  • For never having done tile work before you took on an ambitious job and kicked butt!

This is a crazy off topic topic, but thanks for sharing! Looks like nice work!

• What was in that space prior?
  • How much square footage did you have to work with?
  • It looks like you insulated the walls like they are "outside" walls, is it a garage on the other side?
  • For never having done tile work before you took on an ambitious job and kicked butt!

1. It was a bathroom, lol. Shower was leaking
  2. Not exactly sure of square footage but it was the same size. The previous shower was "framed in" so it had a lot less space tho.
  3. Yeah, garage

thanks!

I've done 2 showers myself just like yours (in fact,I have the same travertine tiles on my master floor). Your's looks great!

I've never even heard of that Kerdi stuff. Man that would make the job easier. I poured the concrete pan over rubber pan liner. The liner tucks up behind concrete board walls. The liner also goes over the curb, which I build by stacking/nailing 2x4s. It's all a lot of work. I bought a wet saw a long time ago and do the tiles, but I'm still not that good at it.

passedpawn said:
I've done 2 showers myself just like yours (in fact,I have the same travertine tiles on my master floor). Your's looks great!

I've never even heard of that Kerdi stuff. Man that would make the job easier. I poured the concrete pan over rubber pan liner. The liner tucks up behind concrete board walls. The liner also goes over the curb, which I build by stacking/nailing 2x4s. It's all a lot of work. I bought a wet saw a long time ago and do the tiles, but I'm still not that good at it.

There have been products before Kerdi, that's the latest foam backed plastic preformed right? I've seen( going backwards) pre poured asbestos ceramic, metal, copper, and lead. Obviously coppers the way to go but the price has gone crazy. I do exactly what you said but regular clear plastic to start the vapor barrier, heavy shower liner, the "tub" gets Hardi board or the first pour of concrete, heavy liner again, concrete con caved to the drain and then thin set and mortar. Samething you did with the threshold 2x4 or 6. Since everything I do is custom it's easier than trying to work with standard corporate sizes. Although, almost all the guys doing production work swear by it.

Of course you have to frame out for the weight.

A couple dozen and ner a call back over a decade, including some Third and fourth floors.

There have been products before Kerdi, that's the latest foam backed plastic preformed right? I've seen( going backwards) pre poured asbestos ceramic, metal, copper, and lead. Obviously coppers the way to go but the price has gone crazy. I do exactly what you said but regular clear plastic to start the vapor barrier, heavy shower liner, the "tub" gets Hardi board or the first pour of concrete, heavy liner again, concrete con caved to the drain and then thin set and mortar. Samething you did with the threshold 2x4 or 6. Since everything I do is custom it's easier than trying to work with standard corporate sizes. Although, almost all the guys doing production work swear by it.

Of course you have to frame out for the weight.

A couple dozen and ner a call back over a decade, including some Third and fourth floors.

My current home has 6" recesses in the slab for all showers. That's nice, since I probably don't need a liner at all. But I did it anyway.

Nice job,
I am a journeyman tile setter. I use nothing but the kerdi system for showers now There is no reason to use anything els. The foam pans come in enough sizes and it just makes sense to have a single stage drain system. It will last you forever so good choice.

Having said that I have don't many traditional showers before kerdi was around which involved a pre slope, then liner, then drain clamps the liner, this is where the secondary weeping holes drain the mud bed, then a sloped mud bed made with dry pack mortar, then thinset and tile. I always formed my curbs and used drypack and ran the liner inside the curb. 2*4 curbs are just not good, 90% of shower failures are because of a 2x4 curb. Having said that there is a proper way to do it with 2x4,s and its wrapping the liner up over the wood, folding a piece of lathe around the curb to hold it in place and screeding 1.5 to 2" of mortar over the entire curb. This is all very time consuming and a multi day process. Now you have a thick mud bed that gets saturated over time with body oils and bacteria and just gets gross and stinks.
A kerdi system or any surface based waterproofing solution is what should be used now.
Just my opinion as well as some facts
So good choice, you obviously did your research

2*4 curbs are just not good, 90% of shower failures are because of a 2x4 curb.

while this wasn't the reason for my failure, the previous curb was totally rotten and falling apart. it probably would have failed pretty soon. He also built up like 2-3 layers of tile on top of the 2x4 curb for whatever reason. more height i guess. it was strange.

Nice job,
I am a journeyman tile setter. I use nothing but the kerdi system for showers now There is no reason to use anything els. The foam pans come in enough sizes and it just makes sense to have a single stage drain system. It will last you forever so good choice.

Having said that I have don't many traditional showers before kerdi was around which involved a pre slope, then liner, then drain clamps the liner, this is where the secondary weeping holes drain the mud bed, then a sloped mud bed made with dry pack mortar, then thinset and tile. I always formed my curbs and used drypack and ran the liner inside the curb. 2*4 curbs are just not good, 90% of shower failures are because of a 2x4 curb. Having said that there is a proper way to do it with 2x4,s and its wrapping the liner up over the wood, folding a piece of lathe around the curb to hold it in place and screeding 1.5 to 2" of mortar over the entire curb. This is all very time consuming and a multi day process. Now you have a thick mud bed that gets saturated over time with body oils and bacteria and just gets gross and stinks.
A kerdi system or any surface based waterproofing solution is what should be used now.
Just my opinion as well as some facts
So good choice, you obviously did your research

Okay. I got a question. I've never done ceramic tile on a floor. Maybe this is obvious to any who has. I've taken up the baseboards and leveled the slab floor. It needed it before any sub-floor or underlay went on. Even thought the foundation was repaired, the floor still had a hump in it. Now, once all this additional flooring goes in and is that much higher, how does the commode and tub fit back in? I mean, it was fine when all I did was slap down some vinyl tile on the slab to replace the carpet (yes really. carpet in the bathroom) but going ceramic, do I need to raise up the plumbing to meet the commode and claw foot tub drain?

Back