Dry Extract boiling time for All Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knacker74

Reaction score
If I am making a brew consisting of all dry malt extract and I am only boiling hops for 15 minutes, can I get away with a 1/2 hour boil time?

What is the benefit of boiling DME for an hour? I also steep grains but not in this case.

No benefit. If your hops only need 15min, just boil 1/2 your dme with it for those 15 (something about hop utilization) and add the rest at flameout.

I wonder if this also goes for a PM? I'm tinkering around with a 3 gal recipe that I'm useing 2lb wheat DME for. Could I just chuck in the DME at flameout? Thanks.

-Kingboomer

Partial mash takes longer than 15 minutes. Can't be done. Even a partial mash still must be mashed for an hour with 1-1.5qts of water per pound of grain at specific temps. If you mashed 5lbs of grains,you'd still need about 3lbs of DME to get an OG in the 1.04X range. But with these amounts,you could save the extract for flame out. 5lbs of grains with 3lbs of DME would make the grain wort 50% of the fermentables. So in this case,extract at flame out is ok.

Thanks unionrdr. My grain weight's 2.5 lbs with 2 lbs of DME. So I can still add the DME at flameout? I understand I still need to mash the grains.

-Kingboomer

What I'm saying is that 2.5lbs of grains & 2 lbs of DME is a little light for a 5 gallon recipe. As another example,my Berlin Wheat kit comes with 4lbs of grains (partial mash),& a 3.3lb jug of plain LME. That's good for an OG between 1.042 & 1.046. OG 1.043-1.044 most likely ime. And it's partial mash,giving a good percentage of the fermentables. Steeping won't give quite as many fermentables,sp more extract will be needed.

Isn't length of boil directly related to the hop schedule, even in an all grain recipe?

You are not converting any sugars once you get to the boil stage so the length of time would be dependent on your hop schedule. If you were to take hops out of the equation then the only reason to heat your wort would be to pasteurize it and for that it doesn't even need to reach boiling temp.

Am I thinking wrong here?

What I'm saying is that 2.5lbs of grains & 2 lbs of DME is a little light for a 5 gallon recipe. As another example,my Berlin Wheat kit comes with 4lbs of grains (partial mash),& a 3.3lb jug of plain LME. That's good for an OG between 1.042 & 1.046. OG 1.043-1.044 most likely ime. And it's partial mash,giving a good percwentage of the fermentables. Steeping won't give quite as many fermentables,sp more extract will be needed.

Understood. I'm doing a 3 gallon batch however. Not trying to thread jack, and I really apreciate your advice :D

Oh,ok...3G batch would be better suited to those amounts. sorry to sound turse,but a technical glitch with my comp has me a lil toasted the last 2 days.

Isn't length of boil directly related to the hop schedule, even in an all grain recipe?

You are not converting any sugars once you get to the boil stage so the length of time would be dependent on your hop schedule. If you were to take hops out of the equation then the only reason to heat your wort would be to pasteurize it and for that it doesn't even need to reach boiling temp.

Am I thinking wrong here?

Yes it is related to hop schedule. But since he's only doing a flavor addition,a 1 hour boil isn't necessary. But 1 hour for the mash,even a partial one,IS. He knows that now. And yeah,for the record,pasteurization happens about 162F in seconds.

OK got it, I misunderstood your original post, I read it as if you did a mash that you would have to boil for 1 hour. You were talking about mashing @mashing temp for one hour. Thanks for the clarifications, I'm new to this so trying to keep up with these threads is confusing at times.

yep what the others have said. the malt really only needs to be boiled for 10-15 minutes to properly fuse the sugars and water. beyond that you only need to boil as long as the hops need.

some argue that minimizing your boil time is better because you minimize scorching of the sugars.

Back