About to by a new brewing kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rossscottnz

Learner brewer running amok
Reaction score
Ok after I lost my confidence with brewing a few years back I sold my original brewing gear. I will be buying another coopers brewing equipment kit and it comes with a can of wort concentrate. Now my question is the instructions for these things normally say just add water sugar and pitch yeast and bottle when down to its final gravity, now what I want to know is would it pay to actually give the wort concentrate a boil for an hour or just go with the instructions and add the hot water, sugar and then cool and top off to the 23 liters with cold water. I screwed up once and ended up with terrible tasting beer by following the instructions on the can and I do not want to screw this up again also if I do give it a one hour boil would I need to add hops back into it.

rossscottnz said:
Ok after I lost my confidence with brewing a few years back I sold my original brewing gear. I will be buying another coopers brewing equipment kit and it comes with a can of wort concentrate. Now my question is the instructions for these things normally say just add water sugar and pitch yeast and bottle when down to its final gravity, now what I want to know is would it pay to actually give the wort concentrate a boil for an hour or just go with the instructions and add the hot water, sugar and then cool and top off to the 23 liters with cold water. I screwed up once and ended up with terrible tasting beer by following the instructions on the can and I do not want to screw this up again also if I do give it a one hour boil would I need to add hops back into it.

Do you not have access to better ingredient kits that require a boil? Where are you located?

The kit you are speaking of is a no boil kit so boiling it is not a great idea and IMO the beer it will produce will be adequate at best.

More info and we can provide some great places to shop and buy great kits and equipment either locally or online:)

I started years ago with a coopers kit. Boiling won't be of any use. The pre-hopped can kits make an adequate beer but nothing better. The fermentor that comes with the coopers kit is great though. I still use it all the time.

Do you not have access to better ingredient kits that require a boil? Where are you located?

The kit you are speaking of is a no boil kit so boiling it is not a great idea and IMO the beer it will produce will be adequate at best.

More info and we can provide some great places to shop and buy great kits and equipment either locally or online:)

I live in New Zealand, most of the concentrates available in the town I live in are just concentrated wort if I want the malt extract kits that require a boil I have to travel a long distance to get it and would add to the cost of getting decent stuff, however I am searching for online brewing shops based in NZ where I can get malt extract concentrates so I can do a proper beer.

I get most of my brewing needs from www.brewshop.co.nz - they have heaps of pre-hopped kits that should be better than the coopers stuff.

Ultimately i would recommend you to actually make your own wort from un-hopped extract with the use of some specialty grains. You wont go back to drinking steinis after you had ur first proper made beer ;)

Why is everyone bashing Coopers? I love them. They make decent beer. Yeah there are better kits out there; I've done them. But with Coopers you can do a batch in 20-30 min without having to get out your boil pot, doing a boil, etc. It all depends on what your goals are. Sure I like the really involved stuff, but everyday drinking beers that are good and done quickly, you can't beat Coopers.

I get most of my brewing needs from www.brewshop.co.nz - they have heaps of pre-hopped kits that should be better than the coopers stuff.

Ultimately i would recommend you to actually make your own wort from un-hopped extract with the use of some specialty grains. You wont go back to drinking steinis after you had ur first proper made beer ;)
Bro I do not drink steinlager anyway tastes like cat pee, I very much prefer drinking Waikato which is a really nice bitter, Tui Blonde or Boundary Road flying fortress pale ale. I stumbled across hauraki homebrew supplies so might give them a try our local bin inn is absolute crap for supplies they don't even have any sanitizer in stock and keep the yeast sachets in the same basket as the sachets of cleaning agents was not amused at all when I saw that plus they know eight tenths of nothing when I asked questions about brewing equipment apart from info given to them by other brewers that buy from there.

Back