Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theQ

Reaction score
Anyone can point me to the right resources. I'd like to try a 3 galon lambic.

Any good source for recipes ? I tried to find a raspberry lambic clone but doesn't seem to be a popular topic or I am not searching right.

Looking forward!:tank:

lambic recipe's are pretty simple for the most part. usually somthing like this
60% pilsner malt, 40% unmalted wheat, aged or extremely low bitter hops, and use a yeast like wyeasts lambic blend. ferment for around a year then rack onto fruit if you so choose. these are not hard and fast rules but just a quick and simple explanation and recipe.

Thanks for reply. I was looking for an example. that's a good start.

What would be the rule of thumb about fruit ratio when raking it into the secondary ? I read people are adding sours. I need to read some more. I might try a small batch while having a 3 gallon carboy doing nothing.

ok well here's an example for 3 gallons:

3.5 lbs pilsner malt
2 lbs unmalted wheat

mash 150* for 60' (multistep mash would be more traditional but i'm keepin it simple)

.5 oz herzbrucker hops at 60'

chill and pitch lambic blend.

ferment for 6 months or so then rack onto fruit. if you're doing soemthing like raspberry then look for somewhere around 1-1.5 lbs per gallon which would equal 3-4.5 lbs for your 3 gallon batch.

there are a lot of different ways to make this beer but this is a very simple and straight forward way

thanks a lot Jester!!!

I will do this soon. should it be in the secondary (after fruits) for 6 month ?

Since I live in Midwest I might have to shorten the 1st till late august when I'd get nice ripped raspberry - would that be a problem ?

it's all really to taste so it's hard to set a timeline on it. most people do a minimum of a year so for you i'd say yeah do 6 months or more in primary and then another 6 on fruit. as for the fruit most people freeze it to get the cell walls to break which makes it easier for the bugs to start munching on it. then they'll throw the frozen fruit in the secondary. so you could get your ripe raspberries and freeze them until you're ready to toss them into secondary.

Back