Grapefruit IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnBanjovie

Reaction score
Batch Size: 5.2 gal
Boil Size: 6.8 gal

Boil Time: 60 Minutes
Total Grain Weight: 10.5lbs

Ingredients:
------------
8.0 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
1.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM)8
1.00 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)

0.50 oz Centennial AND 0.50 oz Cascade (60 min)
0.50 oz Cascade (30 min)
0.50 oz Centennial (15 min)
1.00 oz Chinook (5 min)

Mash at 154 degrees (F) for 65 minutes. Batch Sparge at 170 degrees for a pre boil volume of 6.8 gallons
1.00 oz Cascade (Dry Hop) *Add (1 oz.) grapefruit zest to secondary fermenter. Sanitize with vodka.

This is the first recipe that I have ever designed. I have been referencing the book "Designing Great Beers" by Ray Daniels, and this is my first attempt at designing a beer. I would really like some feedback! This beer is mashing as I am typing this, so I will make a post about how it turned out in a few weeks!

I would appreciate any suggestions!:)

Without seeing the calculations I think this looks more like a pale ale than an IPA, not that there's anything wrong with that. Either way that's too much crystal IMO though - you're at about 24% total with the carapils. If shooting for an IPA I would up the base malt, mash lower, and add more late hops/dry hop. May need a little more bittering - could move the 30 to 60 min. Can't comment on the grapefruit zest although I have made an IPA with all chinook and centennial for the late and dry hop additions and it was like being hit in the face with a grapefruit when first tapped (I mean that in a good way).
:mug:

That is a lot of crystal and like sweet beers. You also shouldn't need that much carapils with all that crystal in it. 2-5% at most.

Move more of your hops to later in the boil...maybe eliminate the 30 minute addition completely, but I don't know how bitter you want it. Add some grapefruit zest at flameout as well.

That is a lot of crystal and like sweet beers. You also shouldn't need that much carapils with all that crystal in it. 2-5% at most.

Move more of your hops to later in the boil...maybe eliminate the 30 minute addition completely, but I don't know how bitter you want it. Add some grapefruit zest at flameout as well.

It looks plenety hoppy to me and I aggree with this gent.

Cut back on the Crystal... I think half a pound is plenty... especally since you have a whole pound of Dextrine Malt
If not you will end up with more of an Amber Ale than an IPA.

Back