Clear beer?!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richlong8020

Reaction score
I'm wondering why some of my lighter ales and ambers are still a little bit cloudy. Is it because I only primary for a week then secondary for a week? That has been the way I have been doing my brews. Should I let the primary settle out longer than a week.

Most here will tell you secondary isn't even necessary. Yes - for clear beer, you should probably give it at least 3-4 weeks.

Also, are you using anything to help with clearing (irish moss, gelatin, etc...)?

1. Finings
2. I'm sure a secondary doesn't hurt. I rarely do it and my beers (kolsch) is super clear.
3. Use flocculant yeast strains. don't expect a clear hefe.
4. I have issues when I dry hop with pellets with my beer taking forever to clear out...
5. Does it taste good. If so and the clarity bothers you. turn out the lights.

Time. Enough time and any beer will clear up. I have even brewed clear wheat beers, without using any fining agents.

Always use whirlfloc(irish moss). I noticed that during the winter, when it was cold here(high 50's lol) my beer was MUCH clearer from fermenting at a lower temperature. A lot of the **** dropped out and it made for a nice, clear beer.

I ferment in primary for 3 weeks, condition for min 3 weeks then cold crash for 3 weeks. Crystal clear beer. Patience is the key.

I always try to:

Use a hop sack.

Whirlfloc at 10 min.

Cool quickly and after removing the wort chiller, cover and let sit 15 minutes before transfer to primary. Leave as much junk behind in the kettle as you can.

Cold crash 3-5 days at 35-36*F. When moving the fermenter to rack, try to not slosh it around. I don't use a secondary.

Gelatin if kegging.

I'm quite happy with the clarity of my brews.

Ok I use Whirlfloc. I put in 1/2 tab at the 10 min mark. So what I'm taking from this is that it needs more time in primary to filter out. I'm good on the Whirlfloc I guess. For some of my future brews where there are no secondary additions I will leave it two weeks in primary and see how they turn out. Obviously I will secondary if I dry hop, add fruit or spice if I want. Then bottle and see how it turns out afterward. Looking forward to the new batches.

Back