Apple update...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T_Baggins

Reaction score
Here's some pics of my 2nd and 3rd batches of apple wine.
The 2nd batch I just re-racked after 22 days in secondary.
The 3rd batch I just put into secondary after 10 days in primary.

batch_2.jpg

batch_3.jpg

is it ok to top it off with tap water? Or Would I be better off getting a fresh gallon of cider and using that?
And maybe another scoop of yeast nutrient?

is it ok to top it off with tap water? Or Would I be better off getting a fresh gallon of cider and using that?

Well, I usually build topping up into my recipes as if you add water, you'll water down your wine. If you add fresh cider, fermentation will start back up and then you'll have to rack (and top up, and then rack....etc :D).

Most people either make a bigger batch to start with, and then use various vessels for topping up the wine as needed. (I have a wine bottle, a growler, a gallon jug, etc). Or use the same wine from last year for topping up.

If you don't have something ready, the best thing is a similar commercial wine. For apple wine, I'd use some cheap white wine like pinot grigio. Or combine the batches, and use a smaller vessel for the topping up wine.

Edit- one other thing I just noticed! You may already be doing this, but cover your carboys with a towel or a blanket or something to protect them from light. It's hard to tell in the picture if you're typically doing that, so if you already are, that's great.

Yes, I can do a lot to improve the conditions of my brewing, That ill come later. (I will cover them now though) Problem is my old lady way too much stuff ...lol I could redo that whole spare room and dedicate it to my endeavors!

Back