Drinking calculator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's not every commercial alcoholic drink I can think of. In fact it's a pretty short list IMO.

From a user interface perspective, that drop down list has got to go. Scrolling through dozens of names trying to find the name of the thing you're looking for is awful, especially if the thing you're looking for isn't even on the list, or is named slightly differently so it ends up in a different spot. It should instead be a text box and 2-D table of items underneath which filter down as you type. Easy to do with something like datatables.net. Another option would be to have stuff in a tree and organized into categories/subcategories/etc. that you can plus through. You could even do the tree combined with a filter if you wanted.

In general, I hate those drop down lists for anything more than a few items. Although on the plus side, it might be better for mobile users since phone browsers can handle them pretty well.

Hopefully you check out the homepage which has just the search feature you are suggesting. This is version 1.0 of the calculator so certainly improvements to come. Thank you for the feedback.

Hopefully you check out the homepage which has just the search feature you are suggesting. This is version 1.0 of the calculator so certainly improvements to come. Thank you for the feedback.
You linked to the calculator, not the homepage. So it's natural to assume THAT's what you were asking for feedback on. And that's what you got.

And yeah, I'd change your description from "just about any commercial alcoholic drink" to "many of the major, popular commercial alcoholic drinks". Or maybe even "some of the popular, commercial drinks" I don't consider my beer list knowledge to be incredibly vast, and as I scrolled through the list I could think of 2-3 beers in each letter that weren't there.

Well I looked at the homepage and I feel like your stuff under the hood is a bit "chatty". Every time you type a letter in that search box you are sending a query to a php page and returning a list of tr elements with every matching result. Probably not an issue right now with no users and a relatively small DB, but it definitely has potential to be a problem later on.

Also I noticed that your php is returning this header information with every query result, which it probably should not be:

Code:
<html>
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="./include/main.css">
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="./include/menu.css">

Frankly, I wouldn't want ANY HTML tags being returned from the server like that, because it just burns up bandwidth. Better to return something more concise like a JSON object, or even better a gzipped JSON object.

Thank you guys so much for the feedback! I have remove this section completely from the php as it was not needed:

<html>
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="./include/main.css">
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="./include/menu.css">

Also we average about 4,000 visitors per day so the performance has held up but all optimizations will be critical as we continue to grow. Thanks again.

Back