1st time brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mathiue777

Reaction score
Hey guys I am new here to this forum and to brewing in general (except for kombucha and kefirs) but anyways here my recipe and plz feel free to help me understand this process better If I am missing something

-1gal org. apple juice
-1 large org. orange
-1 pack champ yeast
-1 lb dextrose

and within 3 weeks all the sugar is eaten says my hydrometer, and I took a small sample and its pretty strong tasting stuff. So I racked it and added potassium sorbate to stop any future ferment its dry enough...so here my question, should I let it sit in the carboy for a couple months or can I bottle now? (oh I also added some pectic enzyme to clear it faster in all hopes)

You can really go either way. Keeping it in carboy it will drop more of the baddies out, making for a cleaner final product. But if you don't want to reserve a carboy, you can bottle and let it settle in bottle. I would do the former.

So what is the exact timeline if there is one after potasium-sorbate is added its safe to bottle-1day?-1-week?

Wait 24 to 48 hrs and you should be fine

Agree, When I add Sorbate, I usually let it sit for two days, I'll open after day one and give it a little stir. That said, if you want it to clear, you might just want to give it a couple more weeks...the pectic enzyme will only help if you set pectins by boiling the juice. You can also give it a couple weeks, and if it hasn't cleared much rack it one more time and give it a couple more weeks. You'd be surprised what racking can do to clear it.

Another option is to cold crash, which is a popular method of clearing, put it in your fridge for a few days and that should help the stuff floating around settle to the bottom, then siphon off and bottle.

Good luck.

so on my next batch can I add the pectic enzyme if I decide heat up the apple juice to break down the sugars a little a the beginning of the batch? And hey guys I appreciate the feedback

If you only get the cider warm enough to disolve the sugar (in a sterylised pan) than you should be fine without the pectic enzyme. You don't need to get it that hot. I'll get 1/5 of the cider I'm using just warm enough, usually below 100*F, and just stir the sugar in for a few min and it should all dissolve. I've gotten cider nice and clear just with multiple rackings and I always do it that way. The only time I add pectic enzyme is if I do something like boil cranberries and add them to the cider...

If you do boil and need pectic enzyme, let it sit in there for at least a week, best results if you go for two.

so on my next batch can I add the pectic enzyme if I decide heat up the apple juice to break down the sugars a little a the beginning of the batch? And hey guys I appreciate the feedback

Pectic enzyme does nothing to sugar, it is an enzyme which breaks down the pectin. Heat does not break down the sugars, though you can invert a granulated sugar by making an invert syrup which makes it a less stressful process for the yeast, but is not necessary for all natural fruit juices. Without pectic enzyme there is a chance your finished product can develop a pectin haze. Just about every fruit contains a natural pectin, but apples (and fruits with seeded cores) are usually the most dense. You would want to add the enzyme regardless of heat application. If you apply heat preferment and happen to set the pectin bond there is always the chance that no amount of enzyme will break it. It does happen. There is even a pectic enzyme formulated for apples, pears, and quince....called Pearadex.

Back