More Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoisePorter

Reaction score
I brewed a recipe that is similar to Northern Brewer's Petite Saison (All Grain). The mash temp was a big low, so I ended up with absolutely no body. OG was around 1.053 iirc, and the FG was down to a paltry 1.003. Then I racked on to some plums which brought it back up to 1.009. After 2 more weeks it's down to 1.008. I was thinking/hoping it would drop a bit more, but since it didn't, I'm wondering if I need more yeast for bottling and if I should think about adding more yeast and letting it sit for a bit before bottling?

Thanks

BoisePorter

Are you sure the 1.003 reading was correct?

Fruit doesn't add much sugar to a beer. 1 lb of most fruits in 5 gallons will add about .001 to the gravity, and this assumes there is no increase in volume due to the fruit addition.

To get an increase of .006 you would have had to add about 7.5 lbs of fruit (assumes about .5 gallons increase in volume).

After going through the sugar from the plums, I would have expected the FG to be back to 1.003 or even lower since the added sugars are all simple sugars.

Did the beer get too cold for the yeast? I'd warm it up and let it go a while longer. No I would not add any more yeast.

Very sure on the 1.003. Yes, I was very surprised as well. I added 10 lbs of fruit to 5 gals. I've had the temp relatively warm the whole time. Fermometer has been reading around 68-70. I just swirled it and turned it up for tonight to see if I get any movement. But there was a TON of trub after primary fermentation was done. Most I've ever had.

BoisePorter

Back