West Covina, CA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How did that brew session go? You get all 3 batches in?

I did two the japanese and brown ale... but i had a major issue for some reason... the brown ale OG was only 1.028 at 82F... I mashed at 149f for 60 mins

Grain bill
9.5# great western 2-row
.25# chocolate malt
.25# Black malt
.25# crystal 60L

what went wrong?

I am doing the Blonde Ale tonight I got tired :cross:

really? and your sure of your mash temps...I dontknow what could have caused that... the other mashed ok?

Yeah... I used 4# of the great western 2 row and 3# of the german pilsner w/ 2# of rice solids and got 1.046.

I dont know what happened! I checked the calibration on my hydrometer cause I was like there is no way that only came out to 1.028!!!!!!! But hydrometer was perfect lol... so i just threw 1-2/3 cup corn sugar and 2 cups of table sugar (ran out of corn sugar) and got it to 1.040 from 1.028... We'll see how that turns out lol!

Sweet! Not many Homebrewers around here! kosmokramer owns a shop in La Verne you should check it out... its the old Vangaurd shop, but 100x cleaner and way better service!!!!

Sweet! Not many Homebrewers around here! kosmokramer owns a shop in La Verne you should check it out... its the old Vangaurd shop, but 100x cleaner and way better service!!!!

Believe it or not there are quite a few of us on my block here in Claremont, and a few more in surrounding neighborhoods. Yeah I bought my first homebrewing kit from Sean @ Vanguard but the service was so poor and pricing odd that I stopped going there and chose to drive to MoreBeer instead. Honestly I like MoreBeer despite the long drive but maybe I'll go check out LaVerne again.

Does the new owner itemize his receipts? That drove me nuts about Vanguard, you could never tell how much a batch actually costed...

Believe it or not there are quite a few of us on my block here in Claremont, and a few more in surrounding neighborhoods. Yeah I bought my first homebrewing kit from Sean @ Vanguard but the service was so poor and pricing odd that I stopped going there and chose to drive to MoreBeer instead. Honestly I like MoreBeer despite the long drive but maybe I'll go check out LaVerne again.

Does the new owner itemize his receipts? That drove me nuts about Vanguard, you could never tell how much a batch actually costed...

LOL yes i do, you seriously dont know how many people have told me the same thing about the previous owner. I was a customer of his as well for a VERY short time, i too would rather take the drive to riverside rather than deal with the service at vanguard. Everything he did wrong I vow to do right Come on in and check us out. My name is Sean to by the way but a differant Sean entirely
Cheers, :mug:

Yeah I get an itemized receipt every time and the new Sean is way better! But yeah definitely check out the new and dramatically improved La Verne Store!!!!!!

I'll second that. The new owner (also named Sean) is totally honest and forthcoming. More beer in riverside was ok, but I'll be going to socalhomebrew for the better service:mug::

LOL yes i do, you seriously dont know how many people have told me the same thing about the previous owner. I was a customer of his as well for a VERY short time, i too would rather take the drive to riverside rather than deal with the service at vanguard. Everything he did wrong I vow to do right Come on in and check us out. My name is Sean to by the way but a differant Sean entirely
Cheers, :mug:

The pricing didnt bother me, and so long as i kept it to about 50$/mth it,was ok. What irritated me was the place was never open when they said they would be. So i just ordered from midwestsupplies.com. If you are just open when you say you are open, you'll have a loyal regular customer in me.

Also if you offer gift certificates my wife will shop with you instead of midwest for Fathers Day, my birthday and Christmas.

The pricing didnt bother me, and so long as i kept it to about 50$/mth it,was ok. What irritated me was the place was never open when they said they would be. So i just ordered from midwestsupplies.com. If you are just open when you say you are open, you'll have a loyal regular customer in me.

Also if you offer gift certificates my wife will shop with you instead of midwest for Fathers Day, my birthday and Christmas.

We are working out the best way to offer this, for now we can put a credit in your name in the system and provide a receipt. We are trying to find a better system though

We are working out the best way to offer this, for now we can put a credit in your name in the system and provide a receipt. We are trying to find a better system though

Check with intuit... I know alot of merchant processors have a way to provide giftcards through their terminals... However you using the mobile card swiper, so I would just call your rep.

But thats a good way to do it with a paper gift card.

Back