lost corona mill ball bearing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robotsNbeer

Reaction score
Anyone know if/where I can find a replacement? Or the size (/weight) of their ball so I can find a generic one? I did some searching and trusty Google couldn't find me anything after multiple tries.

Has anyone used their corona without the ball bearing?

I would try and find a replacement bearing that is similar size, perhaps a local hardware store?...I also think that the mill would work for a long long time without the ball bearing...you might see a tiny bit more wear occasionally without the bearing, you may have to adjust the mill once in a long while.

These are crude machines, that one ball bearing won't make or break the operation IMHO. Without the bearing might change the adjustment range, so you might need some washers or something???

Where is this bearing of which you speak please? I have a Corona Mill and didn't know there was a bearing in it, thought the design preceded the invention of ball bearings.

Where is this bearing of which you speak please? I have a Corona Mill and didn't know there was a bearing in it, thought the design preceded the invention of ball bearings.

I'm with you, I don't remember any ball bearings. now, I can't wait to get home from the office to look at mine.

the ball is between the adjustment screw and the rotating disk. Its much less of a "bearing" and more of a round shim that rotates when the adjustment screw does so it doesn't dig in.

the mill will run without it, or almost anything stuck in there. a plastic bead would work for a while.

mine has had a ball from a coffee maker check valve in it for a few years. only because I wanted to fix it "right".

Go to your local Do It Best, True Value, or Ace Hardware store. My local hardware is a Do It Best and they have a drawer of all different sizes ball bearings in the nut and bolt aisle.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I have some 1/2" nylon spacers laying around that fit nicely and will use those until I make it to the local hardware store. Or I may use it indefinitely if there no difference in performance.

I guess different mill manufacturers have different designs because I have an actual ball bearing located, as amandabab said, between the adjustment screw and the rotating disk. The bearing was held in place with a round shim, but lost that too when I disassembled it. I seem to be developing a pattern of losing things here..

Back