Well today was interesting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoughandReadyRanch

Reaction score
Woke up this morning at 5:20am and walked about a hundred or so yards out onto my property and bagged a late season turkey. Cleaned and in the fridge by 7am with little propane used in plucking. So far so good. Noticed a nice krausen on my yeast starter I thought was dead (washed yeast from several months ago showing no signs of life the first 24 hours). Score! Wife says she is taking the kids out for the morning so go ahead and brew. Score! Hit the weedwacker for about an hour so I can say I did some work today. Time to brew, see how long my propane tank can last since it has brewed two beers, plucked 3 turkeys, and should kick any time ( got the spare ready). Mash ran way high, not horrible but could be interesting (60's the whole way when I was expecting a drop off to 55). So far so good. Hops into the boil.... First boil over ever! Damn. Caught it quick and had minimal clean up so not all bad but I think the driveway might be a bit sticky for a while. Wife gets home. Our last renter give his 30 day notice. There goes some easy income. 5 minutes into my 90 minute boil the wife says the pest people are coming to spray in an hour. Damn. Adapt, consult brew software, overcome. Shortened to a 60 minute and think it will be a bit less hoppy but no big. Drop the wort chiller in and kill the flame. Hit the water and 30 seconds later the tell tail sound of water traveling from a hose that was not intended to be traveling out of. No harm no foul. happened to have an extra hose clamp and fixed it quick. Pest control arrives at that moment but he loves beer so score, talk while it cools. Boil over melded pot to burner. Damn. Pest guy says no worries and helps me tip the whole thing into the fermenter. Then I realize I made it through another beer on the same tank of gas. Brew day started at 11am and finished at 3:40pm minus the need to wash my pot and drop the grain off at the pigs. If only I had a home brew! Some ups, some downs, but all in all this day was a hell of a Wednesday. How was work for you guys?:cross: HA HA HA sorry I had to do it. :mug:

What'd ya take the turkey with?

A cola chaser:drunk: Naw 12g. It was my second of the season and I already found out just how bad I suck with a bow. In fact I can still see how bad I suck with the large kidney shaped bruise on my forearm from the slap it gave me when I got psyched thinking I was going to bag a bird the other week. I will be practicing with my bow for the next few days/weeks as it is Archery only after the 5th here so I figure I got two and we ate one already so the other is going to freezer camp. I don't really feel the need to limit and my freezer space is tight right now with about 21 rabbits almost ready to slaughter I need to make sure I don't screw myself and have the wife saying no more fermentation locker because we need another chest freezer. That reminds me, anyone in my neck of the woods like Rabbit. We are trying to sell them.

Bowhunting turkies is tough especially if they're strutting. Wait until they stop strutting then shoot them or go for the Texas heart shot.

Bowhunting turkies is tough especially if they're strutting. Wait until they stop strutting then shoot them or go for the Texas heart shot.

I thought the Texas heart shot was when they were strutting. Right up the butt. With my deadly accuracy ;);) I see no need to even concern myself with such a shot. I am still trying to find my last attempt in the weeds with a metal detector. Luckily it was only the broadhead that was worth anything. The arroa was a wallyworld clearance for two bucks

The Texas heart shot is the perfect bowhunting shot on a strutting turkey! It gives you a spot to aim @ on their body and hides your draw. I'm still short a rage and a gold tip after missing a strutting gobbler :(

The Texas heart shot is the perfect bowhunting shot on a strutting turkey! It gives you a spot to aim @ on their body and hides your draw. I'm still short a rage and a gold tip after missing a strutting gobbler :(

I am still embarrassed by my three misses and still have the mark to warrant the "OMG what happened to your arm" question that just grinds it home. The birds are so thick here it is really sad I walk out before sun rise to sit and wait and about 10-20 fly down like clockwork every morning. once I get better I am going to buy some flu-flu's and turkey guillotine heads and just bag one that way but for now I can barely hit a target and my lack of arm strength makes siting in impossible, I just got the bow as a self graduation gift in March so it is not like I am extremely well versed. I am quite deadly with a shotgun though it feels like cheating when I can stand up and walk towards the birds to improve my shot with little response from the bird. Oh well. My daughter loves her some wild turkey so game on. 3 more days and then its archery only.

Your not a bowhunter until you miss something. Trust me. If anyone tells you they've never missed they're full of ****.

I wouldn't hunt with a bow that's not sighted in and I definitely wouldn't aim for the head if you can't stick one in the body.

I will be working on it. As long as I am good by deer season it will be ok. I will likely bag my 3rd ad final bird tomorrow morning so I don't have to hear the wife complain about hunting around mothers day this year.

Back