Amarillo/Simcoe Pale Ale .. please critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodbutcher

Reaction score
hey guys , first time poster long time lurker ...

was about to brew my second partial mash brew and wanted some tips or ideas on my brewing procedure.
im looking for a pale ale thats high on the hoppy side and according to my beersmith, im good to go. i am a big fan of orange/grapefruit/citrus with a backbone of pine, i decided to stock up on amarillo, simcoe, citra, and a backbone of warrior.
my next batch will be AG , since i have the pots and burners and space to do it... but for now i am doing a partial mash.
as for the hop timetable... it seems the best way to really show off these hops is to put them in as late editions.

Recipe Type: PM
Yeast: 1 pack US-05
Batch Size (Gallons): 5gal
Estimated Original Gravity: 1.049
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.011
IBU: 42.2
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Estimated Color: 8.2
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 10 at 65 degrees
Secondary : 10 days
force carb and keg at 12lbs

3 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US
12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L

1lb Pale Liquid Extract [Boil for 60 min]
1lb Light Dry Extract [Boil for 60 min]
2 lbs 4.8 oz Pale Liquid Extract [Boil for 20 min]

0.50 oz warrior [15.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min

0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.20 %] - Boil 10.0 min
0.50 oz Simcoe [13.70 %] - Boil 10.0 min

0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.20 %] - Boil 0.0 min
0.50 oz Simcoe [13.70 %] - Boil 0.0 min

0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.20 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days
0.50 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days

1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) .
no yeast starter , but i will rehydrate packet with 6oz of water.

im adding yeast nutrient as well to make up for LME being used.

strike temp at 162 , mash at 152 for 60 min with 5.6qts of water

since i need 7 gallons pre boil , i was going to heat 6 gallons of water to 168 in my brew kettle , put the grain bag in there (sparge) for 10 minutes when im done mashing, and then add my 1 gallon of wort water , extract, and go full boil as usual .
i was going to wait until after hot break to start the 60min timer and my first hop addition.
i dont feel i need to add some of the 4lbs of extract towards the end of the boil since i heard that only effects you if your doing a partial boil. true?

any suggestions? now that i know that i have the equipment to go all grain i will next time.

let me know what you think . thanks guys !

remember that the grains will absorb some of the water, so you'll need to start with a bit more what what you've planned for.

your recipe and process look great. should be a tasty beer!

i dont feel i need to add some of the 4lbs of extract towards the end of the boil since i heard that only effects you if your doing a partial boil. true?
not true, late additions of extract have the same benefit for partial mash as they do with all-extract: makes your beer brighter and improves hop utilization.

Simcoe will give you some resinous piney aromatics/flavor in excess to the tangerine the amarillo throws off.
Great hoping schedule but i would also add one of the 3Cs @5min (cascade,columbus,cenntennial) if you want a more juicy "citrus juice" pale.

With that amount of 2-row your technically mashing these grains.
I would leave them in 148* water for 60min for full conversion.
Also since your getting conversion from the grains i would add most if not all your extract @ the end of the boil to reduce caramelization
On all your recipes your 60min hop addition/timer should not be added till the boil STARTS.

Hope this helps!

interesting . thanks for the tips. the LHBS just told me adding 2/3 of my extract at flameout is a waste of time and thats only important for partial boils ... not full boils.
i thought it was a good idea from what ive read on here.

i really want to add a dry hop addition of the citra... but i think i will hold off until i make another beer.

but i would also add one of the 3Cs @5min (cascade,columbus,cenntennial) if you want a more juicy "citrus juice" pale.

what about my citra? :)
i can just as easy go get some cascade at the lhbs if you think it will help instead. the flavor i love is a local beer by me , columbus brewing company's colmbus IPA . lots of orange, bit of pine .

i was worried about the simcoe giving off too much pine , but didnt worry about it since so many people on here have great success brewing simarillos .

what about my citra? :)
i can just as easy go get some cascade at the lhbs if you think it will help instead. the flavor i love is a local beer by me , columbus brewing company's colmbus IPA . lots of orange, bit of pine .

i was worried about the simcoe giving off too much pine , but didnt worry about it since so many people on here have great success brewing simarillos .

Im a "if its broke dont fix it" kinda guy, dont get me wrong i absolutely love citra but sometimes its to much of a "hop bomb" and drowns other hops out of the equation. The 3Cs are part of a group that people "know off" because IMO for flavoring pales there the top choice. To each there own of course but i can never get enough cascade/centennial where i only buy around 2pds of citra a year....:drunk:

If your LHBS told you not to waste your time with late extract additions i would think twice about there informational help.
Heres a good read

Here's Dude's hop schedule for Lake Walk Pale Ale. I'm not sure I've had a better tasting beer.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/lake-walk-pale-ale-32939/

.75 oz Amarillo (8.5%) - 60 min
.75 oz Simcoe (13.0%) - 20 min
1.0 oz Amarillo (8.5%) - 5 min
1.0 oz Simcoe (13.0%) - 5 min

1.0 oz Amarillo (8.5%) - added dry to secondary fermenter
1.0 oz Simcoe (13.0%) - added dry to secondary fermenter

Dude, you picked my favorite hop bill there, excellent choice, it will be good! Cheers!

well i guess im on track ...seeing how my recipe looks a lot like that lake walk pale ale! cant wait to brew it another time with more creativity in the grain bill.

i think im gonna leave the hops as is for this batch.

as for extract, i will add 20% of the extract at beginning and the rest at 20 minutes even though i feel it doesnt really apply too much to this brew.
i read the article and it seemed like it helps with keeping the beer's color lighter, protects from burning malt flavors, and allows the hops to be fully utilized .

while this really doesnt help me too much - i am doing a full boil, srm 8 , and i have a ton of hops to spare- i will still give it a shot.

i have never kegged before, but i cannot wait to not bottle. i will go through all the sanitization and scrubbing and cleaning methods i have read ...
one thing im wondering though ... i dont have a kegerator, but i have a basement, and its always about 60-65 degrees here in ohio. i like beer at this temperature when served (call me weird... drinking a IIPA right now at 67deg) .
how long will my beer last in the keg if kept at this temperature down there?
will 12lbs still apply even though its not chilled?

im changing it to a 5.5gal boil since i want to fill up my 5 gallon keg as much as possible, so im gonna up the DME to 1lb to compensate.

i always wondered why i saw so many recipes with 5.5

Here's my Simcoe Amarillo IPA that scored an average of 44/50 at a recent competition if it helps.

13 gallon batch
30 lbs Marris Otter
2 lbs C40

1.5oz Simcoe @ 45
1.5oz Amarillo @ 45
1oz Simcoe @ 20
1oz Amarillo @ 20
2oz Simcoe @ 5
2oz Amarillo @ 5

dry hop:
4.5 oz Simcoe
4.5 oz Amarillo

MASH 152

hmm . didnt know it was so similar to DFH ... guess ill like it then , though i cant remember how DFH tastes ..

after reading about first wort boils ( FWH ) i am going to add 1oz of amarillo when i sparge in the boiling pot for 10-20 minutes tea bagging the grain bag.

well i dont think i was quite confortable with the beersmith program. i didnt calculate the equipment part right since they dont really have a profile for setup. . i have an 6 gallon partial mash steeping pot and 15 gallon boiling pot.... and i couldnt input it correctly.

my OG wasnt 1.049 , it was 1.042 and its been hovering over 1.007 as the FG for the last couple days so im sure its ready to be racked.

i was 4-5 points under my estimated beersmith calculations ... and i think i know why .
when i started partial mashing the 3lbs of grain, i had trouble keeping a consistent temp and then found out my digital meat probe was acting up . also, i had no idea about brewhouse efficiency and what that was , so i didnt adjust it in beersmith.

after the boil, i kept my recipe the same in the program, but started dropping the brewhouse efficiency from the default 75% to 70...65.... 60%.... and i think it finally meshed up with my OG and FG numbers at 50% ! ouch.... oh well, no contamination, i have been tasting a refractometer sample every morning and it tastes great ! its currently at 5.2 brix (4.7abv) and 1.007 FG according to the calculator in beersmith.
i will rack it tomorrow and add .75 simcoe and .75 amarillo for the dry hop.

shes going to be dry but lesson learned!

i am building a mash tun today and making another beer tomorrow ... all grain this time.
now im ready to go and actually prepared.

update:

finished at 1.010 ...
tastes great . thanks for everyones help. this was exactly the flavor i was looking for.

Back