WLP001 super high attenuation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WDT

Reaction score
I did a IIPA with mostly 2row a touch of crystal and 2lbs of cornsugar. Mashed at 148F for 80min according to my notes. 1L starter stepped to 2L on a stirplate.

OG was 1.087

Final Gravity is 1.010

Calculated out 89% attenuation. The beer has stopped fermenting and I made sure I read both samples at the same temperature (60F).

Is this normal?? Seems really high.

The attenuation is high because of the fermentable sugars you used. The 2 lbs of corn sugar used helped "dry" out the beer further and is the likely cause of the great attenuation percentages since it is fully fermentable.

(WLP001 has a attenuation of around 80 percent to begin with.)

Yup, mashing at 148 plus 2lbs of sugar means high fermentability. Take out the sugar, and you have, what, a 1.068-1.070 OG beer mashed low? With a yeast like 001, it's not out of the question to see a FG around 1.01.

Right in line with all my IIPAs I have done with similar mash temps and sugar additions using 001 or 1056. It will be good dont worry.

Back