Finally Broke the Buy-In Barrier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BBL_Brewer

Reaction score
For those of you who say it's impossible to save money home brewing beer, I'd like to show you that is indeed possible. I'm living proof.

First off, I would like to point out that if I would abstain from drinking beer, I would save a lot more money. If you look at it from that angle, it is impossible to save. After all, homebrewed beer is certainly not free. But, beer is good, and I intend to keep drinking it for quite some time whether I brew it or not. With that said, here is the breakdown.

The facts

- I have a total of $2500 invested in my brewery.
- On average, I drink (3) 12 oz beers per day.
- My average batch cost is $20 for (50) 12 oz beers. (actually my average batch cost is a little lower than that, but to keep things realisitic I bumped it up to what most people's average cost is likely to be). That comes out to $0.40 per 12 oz beer.
- When I'm not drinking homebrew, I prefer to drink SNPA. The cheapest I can get a case of SNPA around here is ~$28. That comes out to ~$1.17 per 12 oz beer.

Now let's crunch those numbers.

I'm going to drink 3 beers a day regardless. By brewing my own, I save $0.77 per 12 oz beer. $1.17 (SNPA) - $0.40 (HB). Over the course of a year, that saves me $843. ($0.77 x 3) x 365 days in a year. My epuipment cost me $2500 dollars. If I divide the total equipment cost by my savings per year I get 2500 / 843 = ~3 years. Well, it's been 3 years. So that means in 3 years, the money I saved vs. buying beer payed for all my euipment and all the ingredients I used to brew my own beer. So in essence, from this year forward, brewing my own beer will actually put money back into the bank and the only costs I need to consider are the costs of ingredients and consumables. Looking back at the example above, I will be saving ~$843 per year from here on out if my consumption rate remains the same. To put this into perspective, if I were to drink cheaper store bought beer like say Bush, I would still have another ~3.5 years until I hit the break even point. But even if that were the case, I would much rather wait that extra 3.5 years for the cost savings to kick in than to drink what I consider to be crappy beer.

So, you see, if you are going to drink beer regardless of whether you brew it or not, homebrewing will save you money in the long run if you play your cards right. Will it save everybody money? No. I've seen some ridiculously cool and very expensive brew rigs on this site. For some people the cost savings may never outwiegh the buy in, but for the average brewer, it should be easily achieveable.

With that said, I think I'll go pull a pint of cheap ale and enjoy. :mug:

You didn't factor a lot into thus but it's probably negligible.

For example:

How much water you use to make the wort/cool the wort.
Propane and/or electricity.
Time (both yours and how long it takes to make said beer).

There's more I'm sure but I'm not gonna debate nickels and dimes here haha!

As long as youre happy who cares, right?

You didn't factor a lot into thus but it's probably negligible.

For example:

How much water you use to make the wort/cool the wort.
Propane and/or electricity.
Time (both yours and how long it takes to make said beer).

There's more I'm sure but I'm not gonna debate nickels and dimes here haha!

As long as youre happy who cares, right?

You haven't seen my spreadsheet ;)

The only cost I don't consider is labor, and that is because I enjoy brewing and don't consider that a cost but instead a benefit.

I have done some estimates myself and I have no doubt that I have broken even. There are ways to manipulate the numbers too, I brewed a Pliny the Elder Clone it was fantastic and extremely close to the real thing. I would have to drive to Philadelphia to get not nearly as fresh Pliny, thats 180 miles round trip (w/ traffic) not to mention expensive because of the distrobution chain and demand for the beer. I brew beer styles that aren't readily available to me, and styles that are unique to well, me. It would be costly to track down and even buy a six pack of fresh English or German brews. How do you value something like that?

Also, consider the opportunity cost, there are much costlier hobbies than home brewing. With my spare time and hobby money, I brew.

You haven't seen my spreadsheet ;)

The only cost I don't consider is labor, and that is because I enjoy brewing and don't consider that a cost but instead a benefit.

And I would contend that since you did a direct comparison to SNPA, you should factor in labor as SN certainly builds labor costs into their beer price. Otherwise its not a fair comparison. Unfortunately your cost comparison won't come out in your favor in this scenario!:)

I've brought this point up before and its been argued to death...I get that peoples' time should not be factored in for hobbies. But then I would argue that neither should costs! (within reason, of course). For me, homebrewing isn't about making cheap beer.

Could u post the spreadsheet? Id love to figure it out for mine

If you'd like, I'll clean one up and post it.

And I would contend that since you did a direct comparison to SNPA, you should factor in labor as SN certainly builds labor costs into their beer price. Otherwise its not a fair comparison. Unfortunately your cost comparison won't come out in your favor in this scenario!:)

I've brought this point up before and its been argued to death...I get that peoples' time should not be factored in for hobbies. But then I would argue that neither should costs! (within reason, of course). For me, homebrewing isn't about making cheap beer.

I knew someone would stick me on labor :)

Like I said, I consider brewing a joy, so labor is not an issue for me. In fact, I don't get to brew as often as I'd like to anymore. I have a 1 bbl brewery. Brew days average around 12 hours for ~30 gallons. Throw in another 4 hours for yeast starters, kegging, and misc. time spent on top of brewday. That brings me to a total of 16 hours labor per 30 gallons of beer. At my current consumption and production rates, 3.66 brewdays and I'm into beer for the entire year. Now you mentioned SNPA factoring in labor. That's true, but they are most likely paying someone else to brew and not doing it themselves for fun. Here's how I look at it. If I save $843 per year and I spend 60 hours brewing, that means I'm actually getting paid $14.00 per hour to brew. So my labor is not going to waste. Now, instead of saving that money I earned by brewing, I spent it on brewing equipment. However, the brewing equipment is now paid off, so I get to pocket that $14.00 per hour from here on out. But that's not all, I also get more productivity from labor here at home vs. earning money at work because I don't have to pay income tax on it.

I started brewing this year, got an extract starter kit for christmas, and through inheriting kit and buying the rest I'm about £100 ($150) in on Kit and I've now done 3 AG (Woo!) and 1 extract batch (6 US gallons each time)

Now by my maths in the UK for nice (not BMC) beer you can easily get 1.5L for £5 so for a 6 Gallon amount that is £85ish to buy the same amount. I spend around £20 on ingredients per brew and am now supposedly £160 up ish.

Now my numbers are a bit fuzzy but at very worsted thats still £100!

Thanks for your post, made me have a think about my numbers and now think i should go brew some more! (i am saving money after all!)

I have not done the math but I think I am way ahead. I brew a lot of Belgians. If you figure a commercial BDSA or a Tripel is approximately $10 a big bottle and I get 24 bombers from a batch. That would be about $240 if bought, only 40ish as homebrew. A saving of about $200 per batch.

Being the penny pincher I am I figured out my cost for a recent batch of imperial pale that a tad below a double ipa in ibu's and very high gravity due to getting 88% efficiency. I did not factor in my equipment cost which has paid for it's self long ago and labor as it is a hobby. I found I have got my cost per batch down quite a bit.

This is a nice brew.

11lbs of 2 row @ $0.59 per pound (bulk grain buy) = $6.49
.75lbs of c60 @ $1.20
1lb carapils @ $1.60
4 oz hops purchased in bulk @ $0.75 per ounce = $3
Free city water from work
washed yeast @ $1.00 after factoring in amount of batches used in and initial cost
Propane = $3
Electricity to run my well pump to pump water for my chiller $0.20 or less

Cost for entire batch. $16.49

:tank:

BBL_Brewer said:
For those of you who say it's impossible to save money home brewing beer, I'd like to show you that is indeed possible. I'm living proof.

i love it.... We're drinking our way to financial freedom.... I never felt so empowered to pop another.... (HONEY, HELP ME GET WEALTHY, WILL YA? BRING ME ANOTHER BEER!!)

Can I tell her I only drink this many to help us save for the future? Or is that a stretch?

Here's a link to the spreadsheet. It's only a template and is not very user friendly as is. You'll need to refurbish it to meet your needs, but it gives you something to start with. Honestly, if you're not comfortable using formulas in excel, you probably won't get much use out of this. But it's here if anyone wants it.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/80752316/Brew Tracker.xls

I'm with you BBL Brewer, I paid for my equipment long ago and now 150+ batches later I can easily brew a 5 gal batch for under $20. Even an IPA. I hate to spend $9- $15+ for a sixpak that I can brew for ~$3/6. FYI- I bottle only which keeps costs down.

Back