Sour cider fermentation questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brent77

Reaction score
I started a my first attempt at a sour cider based on a friends recipe 3 weeks ago:

5 gal kirkland apple juice
1# table sugar
Yeast nutrient
Wpl Belgian sour mix yeast

Fermenting 3 weeks so far ~70-72F had a spike one day up to 78. Still seeing action on the bubbler every couple minutes.

Question is, I used a bit too high a ratio of San star which I know can effect the ph. There was a lot of foam, most of which was pushed out when the juice was poured in. Had a high krausen you can see the reminence from in the photos. Fairly white foam sitting on top since after the high krausen. Is this typical in a cider fermentation or could this be a result from the San star concentration?

Also, somewhat unrelated but, how long would it typically take if and when a pellicle were to form? Could the production of a pellicle be effected by the San star?

Thanks in advance. :confused:

here they are

IMG_0973.jpg

IMG_0974.jpg

It looks like star san, but it's hard to imagine that it is. I would think star san foam would have pushed up and out with the krausen. When you say "a bit too high a ratio of San star"...what are we talking about here? That almost looks like dish soap foam.

Well that's the thing, It had a lot of foam to begin with which seemed to be pushed out with the krausen, I noticed most of it dropped out after the vigorous fermentation for a couple days, but then this foam came back I guess. I miss-measured and used about 2 oz. but with the sink I was using I couldn't fill up the carboy all the way, so I guess than would make it about 3x the correct ratio give or take. Was thinking of pulling a sample to see if it was noticeable. Is it salvageable, or more suitable for the drain?

I've never used star san mixed so strong so I can't say how it will impact the flavor. Only one way to find out ;)

If it was just the foam in there then it probably should have diluted out quite a bit...if you left say...a gallon of star san in the bottom of the carboy...that might be a different story.

Cheers, I think you're right. I plan on taking a sample this weekend. This morning I checked it, and the airlock is slowed to barely noticeable, and the foam seems to have receded quite a bit. Also, I poured some dregs in over the weekend from a bruery sour ale which maybe effected it. Thanks for the input. :mug:

Just an update, I took a sample last night. The reading was ~1.026 so it fermented about half way after 4.5 weeks. There was no real off aroma, nor flavor. There is obviously quite a bit of sweetness left, and the beginnings of the sourness, though more so in the aroma. I gave it a little swirl and closed it back up. its bubbling still, once every 10-15 seconds. Anyone have any experience using the belgian sour mix, is a longer time to ferment typical? Should I maybe add some extra yeast nutrient? Thanks again.

Back