Moving - what to do with 10 gallons of sour?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elproducto

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm moving tomorrow. I have 5 gallons of Flanders Red that is 18 months old, and doesn't seem ready, and 5 gallons of Lambic that is 12 months old and definitely not ready. How should I move these? It is a 15 min. drive, but I'm guessing they would pick up a whole bunch of oxygen in the carboys.

Should I rack to cornys and then rack to another carboy once I get to the new house?

I was in the same situation about 2 months ago. I kept my sours in their original glass carboy. Made sure the air lock was tight, wrapped them in a towel and made sure they wouldn't tip over. They taste fine and I'm starting to think about tapping them in the next month or so.

Absolutely, keg it, flush with CO2, and then continue aging it in the keg when you arrive, or rack it back into the carboy. I think if you don't have much headspace, fine, just use the carboys, but I wouldn't risk it with my sours. I know a few people who transferred sours by kegging and they worked out amazing.

Last year I moved across town to a house that I purchased. I had fifteen gallons of lambics that I had to move. Five I added apricot puree to, the other ten just had two carbonation drops added a few hours before their journey. All fifteen gallons turned out great. I don't know if the small amount of sugar did anything at all but it did give me a little peace of mind.

Latest posts

Back