Airlock foam through

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I brewed a pale ale Saturday and checked it today and saw where the kreusen foamed through the airlock and down the sides of the Carboy. Obviously should have used a blow off tube but does anyone know why this happened?
Should I clean and replace airlock or let it be? I have attached a picture. Thanks

image-247871175.jpg

If there is pressure inside the carboy, it could crack. A functioning airlock should be on it. It happened because it was a roaring fermentation which is good. Let it rest for another week or two and then you can rack to secondary.

Spend the $3 for the orange caps, always hook up a blow off tube for ales, and you'll be all set.

BTW, did you by chance ferment this in the 70s? I'm surprised the krausen filled up all that head space.

Sometimes my fermentation goes wacky like that too, usually it's a good thing. I would certainly take that airlock off, clean it in pbw/starsan, and put it back. If you are nervous about taking it off starsan some tinfoil and quickly swap it on while you clean the airlock.

It has been in a closet inside the house thermostat says 68 in house.... Kruesen has already subsided back down. Thanks all for the input, I will def clean airlock ASAP

Back