Fruit Beer Strawberry Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MMJfan

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast 1010 or WLP320 American Hefeweizen Ale Yeast
Yeast Starter
Yes
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
No
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
One of my favorite brews among my friends and family
I just wanted to share a basic wheat ale that I use and add fresh strawberries to it to make a delicious Strawberry Ale.

I use BIAB for this recipe but traditional AG would work as well.

Grains:

5.5 lbs. - American 2-row
3.5 lbs. - American Wheat
0.5 lbs. - Torrified Wheat
.25 lbs. - Crystal 10L

Hops:

1.0 oz. - Czec Saaz - 60 min.

1 Tablet - Irish Moss - 15 min.

Fruit:

5.0 lbs. of fresh locally grown strawberries cut and frozen.

Mash Schedule:

Mash in 6.5 gal of water at 152° for 60 min.
Mashout - 170° for 10 min.

* I also choose to do a sparge in a separate 5 gal. kettle with about 2.5 gal. of water heated to 170° for 20 minutes and then add the sparge water to my large kettle I mashed in.

Ferment for 7 days and then add strawberries.

* When adding my berries I heat them to 120° in a saucepan and then cool them before adding them to my bucket. I find that heating the berries breaks them down a bit releasing more of the sweetness to your brew but it is also possible to just dump the frozen strawberries straight into your beer. I also choose not to rack the beer to a secondary vessel when I rack my berries. I just dump the berries in a 5 gal. paint strainer bag and add the bag of berries to my beer in the fermenting bucket.

After another 7-10 days with the berries soaking in the beer, I then remove the bag of berries and rack the beer to a bottling bucket for bottling.

* NOTE: I am very picky about my strawberries as I usually don't even eat them unless they are locally grown and fresh. I find berries bought in the freezer section of grocery stores to be not nearly as flavorful which is why I think I get away with using less berries overall compared to many other recipes of strawberry beers I've seen listed. If I weren't using fresh berries, I would probably up the amount to get more flavor.

I've only made one batch of this recipe last summer and this beer was absolutely fantastic and was a hit with my wife as well as most anyone who tried it! It went FAST, but the berry season was done by the time I was ready to brew another batch?! :mad: We are coming up on berry season once again here in Ohio and I'm going to plan ahead and buy enough berries to brew several batches of this so I can have it last thru the summer! :mug:

Going to try this with an addition of cocoa nibs. Chocolate strawberry wheat

MMJFan, thanks for this recipe! I have a strawberry patch, and they just started to bud, so I was looking for a great wheat based recipe.

Johnnyhamer, let me know when you do this please. I want to brew a batch of this, and split it into two secondaries. In one do a normal strawberry addition, and in the other a strawberry and chocolate addition.

MMJFan, thanks for this recipe! I have a strawberry patch, and they just started to bud, so I was looking for a great wheat based recipe.

Johnnyhamer, let me know when you do this please. I want to brew a batch of this, and split it into two secondaries. In one do a normal strawberry addition, and in the other a strawberry and chocolate addition.

Will do. It's going to be next. Have to get some more bottles. Not a bad problem to have. Have a good weekend fellas.

Hope you guys like it as much as I did!

I FINALLY got some fresh strawberries today so I'm brewing up a batch of this over the weekend! :mug:

Just in time too! We're leaving on vaca a week from today so my plan is to brew it this weekend and rack the strawberries the night before we leave for vaca and then let it ride for a week and it should be ready for bottling when we get back! :D

Last year, I wasn't sure how the beer would turn out so I only bought enough berries for one batch. This year I'm going to probably get about 20 lbs or so of berries so I can freeze them and make future batches throughout the year! :)

I made this several weeks ago and just served it over the weekend. Hops were substituted to Tetnang (just because thats what I had) and added FWH. Because i was in a crunch to serve this for some guests, I racked right onto the strawberries in the keg. Five pounds handpicked Virginia strawberries cut into halves and frozen. I heated to 120* per the instructions but went off script by adding 1/4 cup sugar to sweeten some (my four year old had picked some tart berries). I didn't think to account for the added volume, so just and FYI, if you are working with limited space (say a five-gallon corny) make sure you leave a gallon for the berries. If you use a six-gallon carboy for secondary and then bottle, make sure you have plenty of bottles! Turned out great!

This will become a regular offering during summer. Thanks for sharing!

I just racked mine from the primary into split secondaries. 3 gallons of strawberry wheat, and 2.75 gallons of chocolate strawberry wheat. Can't wait!

Back