does anyone brew in their conical?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grathan

Reaction score
I am picturing a heated/cooled jacket conical with a heating element for boiling... I can't see the downsides to this so somebody must be fermenting in their kettle no?

I wouldn't be opposed to using a conical as a kettle but using it to ferment in with the element still there I'm not sure about. I've seen commercial electric kettles with conical bottoms but you'd still transfer to a fermenter.

I would think the element would be the most sterile part. No transfers would mean no chance for for bacterial pickup. No hassle of hooking lines up and running pumps. 02 absorption would be almost near ideal situation( could add co2 hookup and purge). Trub dump before yeast addition would be a breeze.

grathan said:
I am picturing a heated/cooled jacket conical with a heating element for boiling... I can't see the downsides to this so somebody must be fermenting in their kettle no?

It would be a pita..
I've a a h&c jacket and to take it off each time to brew would suck imo.
Mine are glued on with sensors so it wouldnt work for my conical..
Igotsand

Seems too good to be true but I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't work. Let us know if you try it.

The only disadvantage would be waiting until fermentation is over to brew again, but if it makes upgrading to 10 gallon batches easier and cheaper for me, the advantages would outweigh by far.

Edit: I don't plan on getting a heating/cooling jacket, so that issue wouldn't be an issue in my case.

I still have to get a conical. I may end up building one once I figure out the cooling and possible recirculation. Probably just boil with it right in the fridge.

Back