First AG Day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ljforster701

Reaction score
So I'm making the jump to AG. I'm brewing an Oberon clone that was put together by one of my lhbs with a beersmith printout. My equipment is; 10 gal SS brewpot, 7 1/2 gal SS brewpot, 10 gal rubbermaid round cooler w/false bottom, & a blichman burner. I've read alot and put together a list of steps. Just looking for opinions on if the steps are correct. The steps are:
Pre-heat MT
Heat strike water to 167.7 (beersmith)
Add strike water to MT
Mash in grains and stir like crazy
Check temp ~ 152
Close up MT & sit for 60 minutes
Drain MT
Heat sparge water to 168 (beersmith)
Add sparge water 1st time let sit for ~ 10 minutes, Do I stir when I add?
Drain MT
Add sparge water 2nd time let sit for ~ 10 minutes
Drain MT
Start boil.

Thanks in advance. Love this site.

I would keep some of the sparge water boiling on the side in case you miss your mash temp.
When you drain you should vorlauf (collect the runnings in a separate container until it runs clear, then add the cloudy wort back to the MT).
You don't need to wait 10 minutes for each sparge...but it couldn't hurt.
When I drain the MT I let it drip dry for about 15 minutes to get it all, you will need to tilt it usually.
You can go hotter on the sparge water, I usually got to 185 to keep the grain bed hot and sparge easier.

If the lid is on, you will not lose more then a degree or two. I have stirred during the mash, and achieved 70%, I have not stirred during the mash and achieved 70%, it is not necessary, stir at mash in until arm falls off, or you are at strike temperature, stir like crazy after each batch sparge, you will be good.

Back