Doh! Did I botch this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm making my 2nd 1-gallon batch ever. I has an OG of 1.148 and it stopped fermenting after 3 weeks. I've racked it once and added my K-meta and sorbates to kill it off. Then I said "oh crud! I forgot to take a reading!" (it tasted ok, thats why I didn;t right away). Well, I took it and it read 1.075. Is this too high? Or does the high OG make it ok? And if it's still to high, can it get it going again if I repitch it?
I used 4 lbs of honey in the must and about a pound of berries (all of which broke down).

Yes that is a bit too high. It probably got stuck and stopped (many reasons).

If you hadn't sulphited/sorbated it, you probably could have restarted it but the stabilising chems are gonna make it hard to impossible to do.

Personally I would just fortify it with a spirit/liquor of your choice. Which would normally reduce the body/viscosity of the batch bit given a gravity of 1.075 I don't think that should really be an issue.

Depends on what the berries were, but I'm thinking vodka or brandy.....

S'up to you really........

Ok thanks. Well thats why we make mistakes, right? Ill finish it off and start another one. Thanks a ton!

You can always use it for cooking, too. It'd probably be great in desserts. Good thing it was only 1 gallon.

I spiked it with some vodka and then balanced out the sweetness. It tastes fine, but we'll see in a few months. I won't make that mistake again!

I spiked it with some vodka and then balanced out the sweetness. It tastes fine, but we'll see in a few months. I won't make that mistake again!
Some people get "sniffy" about fortifying, but I say bollocks to them.

Given the cost of ingredients, I don't like to waste any and in about 8 years or so, have never had to flush anything.

There's always a way......

Good result Matey, may drunken stupor help you ignore a mundane world, at least for a couple of hours :D

Back