Low Quality Honey = Low Quality Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nitack

Reaction score
Be warned, it will happen to you at some point...

I just opened a tester bottle of my acerglyn and I am disappointed. It is dry, with maple undertones, and not much else. I used a cheaper honey (probably costco, but I don't remember for sure), and I think I am missing all the depth that would have come from unrefined, raw, wonderful, honey. The maple undertones are good, there, but neither overstated nor too faint. The problem is that there is not really anything else, it is like something is missing in the rest of the drink. I think if I had used better honey I would have gotten more residual flavors from the flowers that the bees harvested.

Lesson learned: When you have something like a Bochet, where the real character is coming from something else or in the case of bochet the process... cheap honey is fine. Anything where you really need the honey to be the star of the show... DON'T GO CHEAP.

I would have to argue that no cheap honey is good, you dont even know anymore if its really honey. If you use cheapo honey to make a Bochet you might only be caremalizing corn syrup instead, who knows with cheap honey. I know people will chime in saying they made great meads with cheapo honey, but what would it have been like if they used real honey? WVMJ

Be warned, it will happen to you at some point...

I just opened a tester bottle of my acerglyn and I am disappointed. It is dry, with maple undertones, and not much else. I used a cheaper honey (probably costco, but I don't remember for sure), and I think I am missing all the depth that would have come from unrefined, raw, wonderful, honey. The maple undertones are good, there, but neither overstated nor too faint. The problem is that there is not really anything else, it is like something is missing in the rest of the drink. I think if I had used better honey I would have gotten more residual flavors from the flowers that the bees harvested.

Lesson learned: When you have something like a Bochet, where the real character is coming from something else or in the case of bochet the process... cheap honey is fine. Anything where you really need the honey to be the star of the show... DON'T GO CHEAP.

Cheap honey converted to alcohol is still alcohol, you could always backsweeten with a higher quality to get the subtlety. The big problem is that cheap honey is usually sourced from outside the USA, from places like China.

http://www.foodsafetynews.com/2013/...harges-for-illegal-chinese-honey-importation/

There are numerous articles on stuff like this. This is especially important for anyone with dreams of commercial production. Knowledge is power.

Cheap sugar that's converted to alcohol is still alcohol. But the quality of the honey does make a difference. I think most of the meaderies in the New England area take big time care in honey selection with true sourcing and most of them are great products.

Back