Wyeast 3944 Sulphur Taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maltoftheearth

Reaction score
A recent white IPA I brewed has too much sulphur taste to it despite my fermenting at the low end (62-64F) of the temp scale.

The beer has been kegged. If I leave it at room temperature for a few weeks wll this sulphur subside? Or do I need to lager it? Or am I stuck with a sulphurous beer?

You'll need to lager it for a while. CO2 is a good hydrogen sulfide carrier, so allowing it to lager in a secondary with an airlock might be your best choice.

The beer is already kegged but it is not sitting on gas, it was transfered, sealed and filled it a couple times with CO2 (Bleeding inbetween fills.)

I don't know if transferring to a carboy as a secondary is a good idea at this point, won't I risk infection and too much exposure to oxygen?

As a safer alternative perhaps just lagering as is in the keg might disapate some of the sulphur?

One question I have related to this -- if CO2 carries sulphur well then wouldn't it be best to keep the keg warm (the thinking being that CO2 dissolves better into cold liquid, the warmer it is the less absorbtion take place.)

Latest posts

Back