Yeast fail?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morty

Reaction score
So I made a Surly Furious clone last night. This morning I checked my beer expecting some activity but was shocked to find nothing. It appears that all the yeast is on the bottom of the BB carboy. I have little experience with liquid yeast as I have used mostly dehydrated yeast. I expected some activity after 12 hours. The yeast I used was wlp 007 or wyeast 1335 ( don't remember what I used). Wort temp at time of pitch was 68/70... Should this yeast all be on the bottom of the carboy already? Should I repitch? Should I wait it out? Any advice would help. Thanks

Wait, it's too soon to worry. Yeast can take various times to get going depending on lots of factors.

If you don't see any activity (not just airlock, but krausen, etc) after 2-3 days, start taking gravity readings to see if the gravity is going down.

That isnt yeast at the bottom of the carboy, it's trub. Your yeast are multiplying right now to get enough numbers to ferment. Fermentation can take 72 hours to show visible signs.

I brewed an amber ale last week and used dry yeast for the first time. I pitched a healthy, frothing starter using a little malt extract from the ingredients kit. That looked great up til the time of pitching.

Otherwise, I did nothing different than I usually would. Aerated the wort, let it cool to about 80 degrees and tossed the yeast in. Aside from the normal frothing of pouring the wort in the carboy, I never heard a peep out of the yeast. No foam, no crust, no bubbles, no movement.

After a day or so, I noticed the wort was clearing up on top and after a week, it has completely settled out like a 3 month old Lager! WTF? I have never seen a yeast starter completely fail to begin fermentation. There doesn't appear to b anything else growing in there either.

Can I rack this to a clean carboy and try again with a fresh yeast starter? Does that work?

Back