wilserbrewer BIAB Bags, Triple Play Value Combo

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wilserbrewer

BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT Sponsor
Reaction score
We have added a Triple Play Value Combo offering, includes a BIAB Bag, a Hop Bag, and a Ratchet Pulley priced at $28 plus $3 shipping in the domestic US, Canada shipping $10.

The bag,, custom sized polyster voile material double stitched w/ poly thread, very strong weight tested design to 120 lbs. Includes poly cord drawstring, very strong break strength 200 lbs.

Hop bag for use with hop spiders, or simply clipping to the side of the boil kettle, can also be used for dry hopping. Typical size 12" X 24", other sizes available upon request.

BIAB Ratchet Pulley, 1/8" poly cord rope with ratchet pulley with two snap hooks, safe rated capacity of 75 lbs. (I have done grain bills over 35lbs without issue), a handy third hand for lifting and hanging the bag over the kettle while draining...very handy!

Available here, http://biabbags.webs.com/

Please be sure to include note to seller with kettle height and diameter (width) as well as any special instructions.

Thank you,
wilserbrewer

Anyone use the ratchet pulley yet? I have, and found they work quite well. Looking for feedback?

Thanks to those that have ordered!
wilserbrewer

Any chance you could source pulleys that are rated for a heavier load?

Probably could at a much higher cost. For only $5 shipped, I feel these pulleys offer a great value! My last batch was 35 lbs of grain and the pulley performed well FWIW. I feel typical batch sizes are usually only a fraction of the 75 lb max safe load rating.

Granted they are small, but rather strong at 75 lb rated safe load. Due to the small pulley diameter it helps to lift the bag while also cinching up on the pulley.

I may post up a few photos on pulley technique when I get a moment.

Thanks!

Is there a way to figure out how much wet grain weighs, besides experimenting. In other words if i put 35 pounds in water, what would it weigh when taken out of the water?

Is there a way to figure out how much wet grain weighs, besides experimenting. In other words if i put 35 pounds in water, what would it weigh when taken out of the water?

Believe it or not, around 35 lbs, maybe less. Due to conversion, a hefty percentage of the grain weight is left behind in the wort. I have found the key to removing large grainbills is to lift slowly and let the bag drain as it comes out of the ketttle. When you first start to lift, it almost feels as if the bag is stuck in the kettle, but over a couple minutes the bag drains as it gradually exits the kettle...a little patience is key IME.

I did around 35 lbs last weekend quite succesfully FWIW. It is not like hoisting a bale of hay up to the loft...you will need to gently hoist inch by inch for a couple minutes as the bag drains, not a deal killer IMHO.

Just placed an order for a bag with ratchet hoist! If you have any questions about the sizing, let me know. Paypal doesn't give you much space to explain... Its a keggle with the top cut off.

Received my custom bag in record time, and it fits my kettle perfectly! Can't wait to do biab once I get my hands on some yeast today. Thanks for the quick ship and order fill, way faster than expected and product looks great!

My "Triple Play" was put to use this past Sunday - my first eBIAB brew day on my brand new brew system.
The grain bag and hop bag - as advertised, both work perfectly, no issues whatsoever.
The ratchet pulley system - not great, but works. The problem for me is that i have attached the ratchet section to an eye hook in my garage ceiling - about 9' above the floor. I can't reach the release button to lower it back down without a step stool. I guess it would be the same with any ratchet type pulley, no? It does work well for what it is and for $5 shipped it's good bang for your buck. FYI i had a 23# grain bill and the pulley had no problem lifting the SS basket with grain bag out of the wort.

YNOT2K,

Glad you had a succesful brew day with your triple play combo. I posted a little helpful hint on my site for using the ratchet pulley. (see photo below) It seems counterintuitive, but is actually a great help at handling a bag of hot grain. Do not install the pulley up high above the bag, but rather attach the pulley at the bag. Lift the bag / pulley with one hand, and pull up on the hoist rope with the other hand...works a treat. Agreed, these are small little pulleys, but at 75 lb rated load they can handle rather large grain bills, and with a practiced technique, they work quite well IMHO. With the pulley down low, the ratchet mechanism is also easily within reach, try it, it makes all the difference.
Thanks!
wilserbrewer

It does work well for what it is and for $5 shipped it's good bang for your buck.

Well, since you went for the value combo, the hop bag and pulley were only $4 each shipped...damn that sound sounds inexpensive, I better have a word with the corporate accountant;)
wilserbrewer:mug:

Got my bag and pulley last night, and they looked great! I didn't get to try it out in my pot yet, because I'm soaking the pot in cleaner at the moment, but I will try it out when I get home tonight. So far a very satisfied customer!

(Also kind of thinking I should have got the triple play with a hop bag as well!)

BeardedIdiot said:
Got my bag and pulley last night, and they looked great! I didn't get to try it out in my pot yet, because I'm soaking the pot in cleaner at the moment, but I will try it out when I get home tonight. So far a very satisfied customer!

(Also kind of thinking I should have got the triple play with a hop bag as well!)

I can ship you a hop bag on the cheap...PM sent

YNOT2K,

Glad you had a succesful brew day with your triple play combo. I posted a little helpful hint on my site for using the ratchet pulley. (see photo below) It seems counterintuitive, but is actually a great help at handling a bag of hot grain. Do not install the pulley up high above the bag, but rather attach the pulley at the bag. Lift the bag / pulley with one hand, and pull up on the hoist rope with the other hand...works a treat. Agreed, these are small little pulleys, but at 75 lb rated load they can handle rather large grain bills, and with a practiced technique, they work quite well IMHO. With the pulley down low, the ratchet mechanism is also easily within reach, try it, it makes all the difference.
Thanks!
wilserbrewer

Well, since you went for the value combo, the hop bag and pulley were only $4 each shipped...damn that sound sounds inexpensive, I better have a word with the corporate accountant;)
wilserbrewer:mug:

i used this method and found that it take LOTS more force to lift the basket/bag.
you are pulling UP rather than DOWN (not nearly as easy if you're just pulling up on the cord - you NEED to be lifting the basket/bag with one hand and cinching the rope with the other).

YNOT2K,

I agree, the pulley can be utilized up top as well, my personal preference is to secure the pulley down low to the bag, especially when one needs to release the ratchet lock, I just prefer not to be releasing the tension on the grain bag while on a stepladder. I have done grain bills up to 35 lbs and have found the pulleys to be a great asset and a very cost effective tool.

Also, with larger batches, it helps to SLOWLY hoist the bag out of the pot and let it drain as it exits the kettle, the bag will be much lighter as you are not lifting gallons of wort. I would guess I spend 2-3 minutes slowly hoisting a 35 lb monster grain bill. It should be noted that these techniques are mainly for larger batches of ten plus gallons or grain bills above 20 lbs...for an average 5 gallon batch, hoisting a bag should be childs play.

Thanks and cheers!
wilserbrewer

I recently received 2 bags from wilserbrewer and they are fantastic! I just used them this weekend to do my first BIAB brew (70% efficiency !!). The bags worked great.

Dealing with wilserbrewer has also been awesome! All my emails to him with many questions were answered immediately no matter what time of day. I purchased on a Monday and they shipped Tuesday! Can't beat that.

Highly recommend!

First brew with my Wilserbrewer bag this weekend and hit over 80% efficiency with 12lbs grain in 10 gal water, stirring the mash twice, and without any lauter/sparging. Bag works great and I even forgot to take out the hop bag which was stirred vigorously into the mash but survived just fine :drunk:

thanks!

Maybe your on to something ten80, stirring that hop bag into the mash might be the key, soon everyone will be doing it :)

Happy you had success!

Resurrecting this thread as I am interested in the bag, pulley, and hop bag. A Father's Day gift :D . Wondering what device do folks use to lift the pulley/bag out of the wort?

Wilserbrewer are you still offering this deal? I'm looking at getting a 10 or 11 gal pot and wort chiller, Father's Day gift to myself, and this would be a great addition to those two on my adventure in AG.

Little late on my reply, but have to say this was extremely quick. Less than two days from day of order to arriving in my mailbox.

Thank you

Has anybody ever had the hop sock hold a ton of water during the boil?

I just did a batch and had to squueze out about 2 gal of water at the end of the boil.

Ordered the triple play and received at the speed of light, Awesome quality and a great value for the $$, HIGHLY HIGHLY RECOMMEND THESE!

I didn't get to brew with my new bag until a couple weekends ago, but it was amazing once I did. It fit my converted keg mash tun/boil pot perfectly, kept all the grain out of my boil, was easy to lift, and super easy to clean. Two brews back-to-back and performed flawlessly!

Definitely two thumbs up from this guy :tank:

I just used my new bag for the second time a few days ago. It's made my biab a bazillion times more convenient than when I just used a curtain draped over the sides. Grain bills of 25 and 28 lbs were no problem for the bag or the ratchet pulley. Great product wilser!

Used for the first time on a smaller PM grain bill, and the bag was outstanding. Perfect custom fit for my kettle. My brewing buddy was impressed.

Having purchased several bags (hop bag and dry hop bag) I have to admit that this was the most horrible experience I have ever had. Dealing with Mike has been a nightmare!! He was a nightmare in an awesome way as he really busted his ass to fix my problem, he went above and beyond in taking care of my order I messed up on (stupid paypal!! *shakes fist*). I'm not used to great service like this.

I highly recommend doing business with Wilser, he is selling a great product and his customer service is top notch!!

My hop bag held up to one of my IPAs. The bag did need some care post boil as it did retain more than usual wort, giving the bag a twist and let it drain worked fine. The mesh pore size seems much finer than the average paint strainer bag. The size was perfect for my 20g kettle and I got the coverage I wanted for the depth and width of my kettle. Cleaning the bag was painless, much easier than the paint strainer bag, it was a simple rinse and no hop discoloration was seen.

I'm presently using two dry hop bag in two kegs, I dropped one bag in (ahem eh.... I may not have thought that through) but it as of yet has no effect on the keg flow at all. I'd give dry hopping an extra day or two. I'm used to dropping the hops in, this may not actually be a fault of the bags as it is the first time I'm dry hopping in any device that contains hops, I would have liked a bit more aroma. As always with new equipment, new testing must be done. I will need to brew more to fully test and confirm and do side by side :drunk:

Love the bags, thanks Mike!!

Just wanted to add: pulled the dry hop bag out of the keg after I killed the keg. Worked perfectly, no floating hop flakes in my beer, and the bag rinsed right off leaving no hop green tint to the material. Looks brand new.

Good stuff!!

Used for the first time on a smaller PM grain bill, and the bag was outstanding. Perfect custom fit for my kettle. My brewing buddy was impressed.

As did I this past weekend. I showed a few buddies how easy brewing can be and they all had a blast.

However, I must add that the quality of the bags is impressive and I have absolute confidence these will hold all the grain I can throw at them. Also, the shipping was spot on. I know the bags didn't have to travel very far but I placed the order on Friday and had them in my hands on Monday (if I remember correctly).

Thanks and keep up the good work.

Anyone order one of these lately? I ordered one a few days ago and haven't heard anything.

Back