Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I made a pale ale roughly a week ago and I noticed clumps developing on the top and sides. I used DME so I am thinking I didn't boil the wort long enough. Is it messed up or do i have a chance to save it?

strawberry ale .jpg

It is a bit hard to tell for sure from the picture but that looks like a normal krausen to me. I would wait another week or two then check for final gravity then bottle/keg.

Not boiling the wort long enough would give you a lower OG more than anything else.

That looks like a pretty thick krausen, but you're probably okay. DME doesn't really need that long of a boil. Most of mine goes in at the last 10 minutes to keep color down and help with hop utilization.

give that beer at least 2 weeks, if not longer, in primary before racking it on to the strawberries.

FYI strawberries provide a fairly subtle flavor. you'll want to use a lot of them, i've read that 5 pounds is a minimum amount. freeze them before adding to your secondary, that will break down the cellular structure of the berries and make it easier for the yeast to get in there and ferment them.

You'll want to use a pectic enzyme with the fruit as well.

Looks like yeast rafts under the krausen to me. As long as you got the DME dissolved in the wort,you'll be fine.

Back