do i have enough for a batch? Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve50

Reaction score
I have the following given to me by a friend. Do I have what it takes to brew a hefe? If so can you provide the steps?
6 lbs Dme
1 lb 2row munich barley malt
1/2 lb wheat malt
4 oz hallertau hops
1 vial white labs wlp380

Thanks,steve

I have the following given to me by a friend. Do I have what it takes to brew a hefe? If so can you provide the steps?
6 lbs Dme
1 lb 2row munich barley malt
1/2 lb wheat malt
4 oz hallertau hops
1 vial white labs wlp380

Thanks,steve

I think 1/2 lb doesn't make a hefe.

Check out the recipe section and compare.

You have enough to make a good beer, what kind of DME do you have ?
Id just save some of those hops for another batch, 4oz is quite a bit.

As far as steps, we really need to know how you brew.

If it were me brewing I would crush grain in my mill (before mill crush grains with a bottle or rolling pin)
Put crushed grain in a new 5 gal paint strainer sack
Im Guessing what you have? 5 gal pot? fill with 4 gal water and heat to 153 deg.
Put 5 gal sack of grain into 153 deg water for 30 min, Stir grain 1 or 2 times during 30 min
Take out sack of grain out
Add 1/2 of the DME into pot and stir
Heat to a boiling
Set a 60 min timer, and add some hops, maybe 3/4 to 1 oz if it were my beer
At 20 min left on timer turn off burner and add another 1/2 oz hops and slowly stir in the rest of your DME
Turn flame back on, watch for a boil over, if it starts to foam up, spray foam with water in a spray bottle
if you want hop smell in your beer add another 1/2 oz of hops with 5 min left on timer
When timer go's off you need to cool beer down below 80 deg, pot into a ice bath in the sink will work
Pour beer into fermenter
Add yeast
Put lid on and install airlock, as soon as beer starts to ferment, cool it down to that yeast's lower end recommended temp

Have you ever brewed before?

Cheers :tank:

You need more wheat to make a true hefe. You could make a beer with the ingredients above, and it would probably be good, but not a hefe.

If you wanna use what you have, I'd do a small mash/steep (BIAB maybe) of the grains at 152. Boil your water with 1/2 of the DME added at beginning of boil. Maybe use 1oz of your hops at 60 min. If you want, add another 1/2 oz with 10-15 min left. Add the rest of your DME with 10 min left in your boil. Cool to pitching temps and pitch the yeast. (I'd make a starter if you can to ensure large enough pitch as well as verify yeast viability). Ferment at 64 for a few days then ramp up temps to 68-70.

This would give you a beer of 1.058 OG and finish around 5.8%ABV. IBUs: ~13. Color depends on your DME.

Again, not a true hefe, but it would have some of the character which comes largely from the yeast. Just missing the wheat additions that make it true to style. If anyone cares to adjust this recipe, please feel free!

You have enough to make a good beer, what kind of DME do you have ?
Id just save some of those hops for another batch, 4oz is quite a bit.

As far as steps, we really need to know how you brew.

If it were me brewing I would crush grain in my mill (before mill crush grains with a bottle or rolling pin)
Put crushed grain in a new 5 gal paint strainer sack
Im Guessing what you have? 5 gal pot? fill with 4 gal water and heat to 153 deg.
Put 5 gal sack of grain into 153 deg water for 30 min, Stir grain 1 or 2 times during 30 min
Take out sack of grain out
Add 1/2 of the DME into pot and stir
Heat to a boiling
Set a 60 min timer, and add some hops, maybe 3/4 to 1 oz if it were my beer
At 20 min left on timer turn off burner and add another 1/2 oz hops and slowly stir in the rest of your DME
Turn flame back on, watch for a boil over, if it starts to foam up, spray foam with water in a spray bottle
if you want hop smell in your beer add another 1/2 oz of hops with 5 min left on timer
When timer go's off you need to cool beer down below 80 deg, pot into a ice bath in the sink will work
Pour beer into fermenter
Add yeast
Put lid on and install airlock, as soon as beer starts to ferment, cool it down to that yeast's lower end recommended temp

Have you ever brewed before?

Shouldn't he mash with less water? That's not a lot of grain, the pH might get too high in that much water.

Shouldn't he mash with less water? That's not a lot of grain, the pH might get too high in that much water.

Doing BIAB you can steep (thats really what he would be doing) your grains with a full volume of water, and its only for 30 min.
I didnt even bother to look those grains up to see if they had to be mashed to tell the truth.

Yes it's wheat Dme. Yes I have brewed just have not put a recipe together on my own. Thanks for all the help
Steve

Yes it's wheat Dme. Yes I have brewed just have not put a recipe together on my own. Thanks for all the help
Steve

In this case, yes you have the ingredients for a hefe. You could do just the extract alone with about 1 oz of the hallertau at 60 (plus an aroma addition as mentioned if you want). Or if you want to do a mini mash with the grains, drop a lb of the DME.

Doing BIAB you can steep (thats really what he would be doing) your grains with a full volume of water, and its only for 30 min.

But you're talking an all grain batch with a full grain bill, right? I would not mash 1.5 lb of grain in 4 gallons. 3 qts at 152 sounds good. And yes those grains should be mashed.
:mug:

In this case, yes you have the ingredients for a hefe. You could do just the extract alone with about 1 oz of the hallertau at 60 (plus an aroma addition as mentioned if you want). Or if you want to do a mini mash with the grains, drop a lb of the DME.

But you're talking an all grain batch with a full grain bill, right? I would not mash 1.5 lb of grain in 4 gallons. 3 qts at 152 sounds good. And yes those grains should be mashed.

No, he has 6 lbs of DME how could that be a all grain batch? with a full grain bill? we were talking about the grains and DME he has, or at least I was.

Cheers :mug:

No, he has 6 lbs of DME how could that be a all grain batch? with a full grain bill? we were talking about the grains and DME he has, or at least I was.

I understand, but one of the posts questioned your recommendation for the OP to mash his grains in 4 gallons of water, and you replied for BIAB it's standard to mash in the full volume. My point is that is for a full grain bill, not for a very small partial mash.

I understand, but one of the posts questioned your recommendation for the OP to mash his grains in 4 gallons of water, and you replied for BIAB it's standard to mash in the full volume. My point is that is for a full grain bill, not for a very small partial mash.

Not necessarily, ever do a extract kit, grains go in a bag, then bag go's into the full volume of water, it's a form of BIAB, Brew In A Bag doesn't mean you have to have a full grain bill, at least to me, otherwise if you added 1 oz of DME it would no longer be a BIAB.

Sorry if I what I said was confusing.

I was under the impression that when most folks use the term BIAB they are referring to a mashing technique without a mash tun . You apparently also use the term to include steeping grains, without expecting any enzyme conversion. I stand by my point that for this particular recipe, in which the OP wants to mash 1.5 lb of base grain in a tiny mini mash, he should not mash at a ratio of almost 11 qts per lb that you suggested.

But I don't want to argue anymore over semantics. Time to RDWHAHB. :)

I was under the impression that when most folks use the term BIAB they are referring to a mashing technique without a mash tun . You apparently also use the term to include steeping grains, without expecting any enzyme conversion. I stand by my point that for this particular recipe, in which the OP wants to mash 1.5 lb of base grain in a tiny mini mash, he should not mash at a ratio of almost 11 qts per lb that you suggested.

But I don't want to argue anymore over semantics. Time to RDWHAHB. :)

Munich malt is a base grain, so should be mini-mashed. This isn't a BIAB recipe because of the extract... BIAB is for all-grain. I would only steep the grains in 1 gallon of water @ 153°F.

4 ounces of hops might be a bit high, style-wise in my opinion, however. Something like this?

1 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) Bel
8.0 oz Wheat Malt, Ger
6 lbs Wheat Dry Extract [Boil for 60 min]
1.00 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] - Boil 60.0 min
0.50 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] - Boil 20.0 min
0.50 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] - Boil 0.0 min

Beer Profile
Est Original Gravity: 1.054 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.014 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.3 %
Bitterness: 12.9 IBUs
Est Color: 7.4 SRM