Favorite Non-Beer-Related Quotes Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andycr

Reaction score
Couldn't find a non-beer quotes thread, so I decided to start one. I have way, way too many, but I'll start with a few...

"Of all evil I deem you capable: Therefore I want good from you. Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."
- Nietzsche

"I never learned from a man who agreed with me."
- Robert A. Heinlein

"It's hard to light a candle; easy to curse the dark instead."
- Various

"People get this idea that for me to be successful, someone else has to fail. That's just not true. One person having a lot doesn't mean that others have to have a smaller piece of the pie. Anyone can be successful - you just have to go after it."
- Alex Albrecht

"Impropriety is the soul of wit."
- W. Somerset Maugham

"Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right."
- Isaac Asimov

“Beware that, when fighting monsters, you yourself do not become a monster... for when you gaze long into the abyss. The abyss gazes also into you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche

“Wrinkles should merely indicate where the smiles have been.”
― Mark Twain

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
-- George S. Patton

"A pilot who doesn't have any fear probably isn't flying his plane to its maximum."
-- Jon McBride

"The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work."
--Thomas Alva Edison

“The Sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever.”
― Jacques-Yves Cousteau

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens."
- Jimi Hendrix

"Flying makes me feel like a sex maniac in a whorehouse with a stack of $20 bills."
— Pancho Barnes

"None but ourselves can free our minds"
--Bob Marley

"Life is filled with it's little miseries. Each of us in his own way must learn to deal with adversity in a mature, and adult fashion."

-Deja Vu

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
-Robert A. Heinlein

"You’re in America now. Our idea of diplomacy is showing up with a gun in one hand and a sandwich in the other and asking which you’d prefer." - Harry Dresden

"Your job is not to die for your country. Your job is to make those other poor, dumb bastards die for their country." - Gen. George S. Patton

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice." - Sen. Barry Goldwater

"A man who procrastinates in his choosing will inevitably have his choice made for him by circumstance."
- Hunter S. Thompson

"Do one thing every day that scares you."
- Eleanor Roosevelt

Here's ta swimin with bo legged women..... U go in the water..cage goes in the water..shark is in the water fair well an adu to you fair Spanish ladies fair well an adu to you ladies of spain for we've recived orders to sail back to Boston an there never more shall we see you again!!! Quin from Jaws

"Right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must."
- Thucydides

"The nation that will insist upon drawing a broad line of demarcation between the fighting man and the thinking man is liable to find its fighting done by fools and its thinking by cowards."
- Sir William Butler

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
--- Frank Herbert, Dune - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

"It is a general rule of human nature that people despise those who treat them well, and look up to those who make no concessions."
- Thucydides

"Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food."
― Hippocrates

"Safe? There's no such thing as safe. There's life, there's death, and anything in between is just dumb luck."
- Dresden Files TV Series

"Every few years I'll party way too much to remind myself what an idiot I am." Jeff Ament

"All music is folk music. I ain't never heard a horse sing a song." Louis Armstrong

“Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm” Winston Churchill

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be."
- Douglas Adams

"You don't reach Serendib by plotting a course for it. You have to set out in good faith for elsewhere and lose your bearings...serendipitously."
--John Barth

"You may find yourself in a beautiful house with a beautiful wife. You may ask yourself, 'well, how did I get here?'"
--Talking Heads

Back