Fridge immediately after bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ao123

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a first time brewer, and I just realized that after bottling my beer, instead of leaving it out in 70 degree temperature for two weeks, I instead put it immediately in the fridge. What can I expect as a result? Totally uncarbonated beer?

Am I better off moving the beer (after 2 weeks in the fridge) back out into a 70 degree temperature, or continue letting the beer sit in the fridge?

It's a basic American IPA.

Thanks!

basically you more or less, just put things on hold. Pull it out, let it set for a couple weeks and put it back. Should be good. Actually check that, I find three weeks bottle conditioning to be about perfect.

If I were to try to consume it right now, would it just be completely flat? Will I damage the beer by moving it from such cold temperature back to warm, and then again to cold?

maybe not completely flat but probably a thin quick to fade head. I don't think you'll hurt the beer at all from cold to warm and then back to cold again.

ao123 said:
If I were to try to consume it right now, would it just be completely flat? Will I damage the beer by moving it from such cold temperature back to warm, and then again to cold?

Just take em out and let em warm to room temperature for a few weeks. Hell, crack one open right now and enjoy, I don't mind flat beer as long as its cold, you have 50 of em after all ;-)

Do let us know how it is though and follow up up down the road

not to beat a dead horse, but yeah, pull 'em to room temp for 3 weeks. you may want to invert each one a few times once they warm up to get some yeast back in suspension, it'll help them carb up faster. "uncarbonated" beer isn't really flat, there's a small amount of CO2 dissolved in the beer from fermentation. go ahead and crack one and give it a try. if it's not too flat for you to drink, save a 6-er in the fridge for you to drink while the rest carb up properly.

That whole 'cold beer back to room temp' is a myth. It's a myth I believed for a long time. I used to try to cram a case of beer in my fridge if I bought it in the refrigerated section of the store :drunk:

NickTheGreat said:
That whole 'cold beer back to room temp' is a myth. It's a myth I believed for a long time. I used to try to cram a case of beer in my fridge if I bought it in the refrigerated section of the store :drunk:

?

Back