Re: Yet another question about fuses - help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cioffi

Reaction score
I have another basic question. I ended up with some Bussmann fuse holders. I'm working on getting the fuses for one of PJ's diagrams that calls for 1 amp fuses (and one 10 amp fuse for pumps) for the PID, etc. Given the Bussmann fuse holder, I found this Bussman 1 amp fuse:
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/COOPER-BUSSMANN-Fuse-4TWL3. (I also found them on Ebay for a lot cheaper.)

Here's my question: these are slow acting (apparently about a 10 second delay) fuses. I take that will be fine for pumps, but not for more delicate devices, such as the PID, lights, etc. In the latter case, I'll need fast acting fuses. Is all this correct? Or, could I use the Bussmann fuse for all my devices, given I use the appropriately rated amperage? I'm hoping I can just use the fuse holders I have which means I'm committed to the Bussmann fuses I've linked.

Thanks,
TC

You have it right - slow acting fuses are for inductive devices (motors and solenoids) that have a high inrush current on startup. For most other electronics, you want fast blow fuses. I use the little 5x20mm fuses with the cylindrical panel mount holders - very small and cheap.

You have it right - slow acting fuses are for inductive devices (motors and solenoids) that have a high inrush current on startup. For most other electronics, you want fast blow fuses. I use the little 5x20mm fuses with the cylindrical panel mount holders - very small and cheap.

Okay, thanks. We'd you get the fuses with the mount holders?

Latest posts

Back