Computer Virus?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgln

Reaction score
My computer boots up fine but just before my desktop is to load I get a white screen with a black border and my keyboard doesn't work. So in order to power it down I have to push in the ON button and hold it...but the monent I push it in my desktop shows up but my computer is powering down and I can't stop it. So it is not a monitor issue. So I try and bring it up in safe mode, ok keyboard works, but as it is bringing it up in safe mode again just before my desktop loads that white/black window appears and keybord doesn't respond..so back to power off and again desktop appears but already powering down. I tried to ALT-F10 to set it back to factory setting but it won't let me. It is a vicious cycle, that is why I'm thinking virus.

What do you think.

One a related topic, if need be how can I order a new drive loaded with the original factory software?

A few questions...

What OS do you have on it?

When did you purchase it?

Do you have file compression on?

A few questions...

What OS do you have on it?

When did you purchase it?

Do you have file compression on?

Not sure, I am not on it now (obviously lol) I should know but don't. Windows 98?? I'd say I bought it 4-5 years ago? I doubt it, I never did anything with file compression..

Well, windows 98 isn't even on the market anymore so I don't think you're going to be able to buy it now. If you have a copy you can get a new hard drive, install it and then load your OS on it. Then you can install the old drive as a data drive, do a virus scan on it from the new drive and recover your files. You could also do that with a new OS and/or new computer. I'm not sure if this would be a virus or some sort of hardware problem.

Windows 98? Jesus.

If the computer's really that old, it's not worth it to try to save it. Finding compatible parts for something that old would be a nightmare and not cheap. Performance is terrible. If the hardware is really that old, toss it out a two story window and go pick up a cheap netbook. The Google Chromebook would blow anything that old out of the water by a factor of 10 in every spec and is selling for $250 right now.

Sounds like OS corruption, not a hardware failure or a virus.

If you don't have an install disc, borrow one from a friend. I wouldn't go any older than Windows XP, period, unless your hardware just can't support it. Even then, now the standard is Windows 7 minimum for enterprise support, so I'd recommend a stripped down version of Ubuntu for something that.

If you can have a friend burn a Ubuntu Live CD and boot into it, you can ensure that it's not the hardware at fault.

Good luck.

I'm not sure if this would be a virus or some sort of hardware problem.

If not for the odd fact that it seems my desktop is there and functional as soon as I touch the OFF/ON button I would agree. Like I sad though, by that time it is powering down so I can't do anything. Weird Oh, the mouse does move on the white/black screen.

Again, almost certainly OS corruption. Not a hardware issue unless the drive is getting bad writes on specific hard drive sectors or has a few bad bits that aren't getting written properly.

I do this every day for a living. I've seen this a million times, and stumbled upon similar symptoms once today even.

Again, almost certainly OS corruption. Not a hardware issue unless the drive is getting bad writes on specific hard drive sectors or has a few bad bits that aren't getting written properly.

I do this every day for a living. I've seen this a million times, and stumbled upon similar symptoms once today even.

Ok thanks, I'll see what I can do.

Take it to a computer repair shop (an ACTUAL computer shop, not Staples or whatever) and get them to take a look at it. At the very least, they can build you a new computer and install your old hard drive as a secondary drive, so you can still recover all your data files.

+1 on avoiding staples or Geek Squad. Geek Squad's job is to sell.

1)What OS do you have? There should be a Microsoft Product sticker on the PC somewhere that will tell you.
2)Look for disk that came with PC. If you cant find your original borrow a friends copy.
3) boot to cd and choose the repair option. Select your OS and then go to advanced repair options. Click on the command line options and run chkdsk C: /b to and let us know the results.

If you think this is a virus download the Kaspersky Rescue CD here: https://support.kaspersky.com/4162 Burn it, boot to it and scan your PC. It does a good job of removing bugs.

If this is over your head bring it into a PC repair shop.

Take it to a computer repair shop (an ACTUAL computer shop, not Staples or whatever) and get them to take a look at it. At the very least, they can build you a new computer and install your old hard drive as a secondary drive, so you can still recover all your data files.

That's a silly expensive way to go about it.

Throw it in an external enclosure for $15 and it becomes a portable hard drive after you copy the files off.

If you think this is a virus download the Kaspersky Rescue CD here: https://support.kaspersky.com/4162 Burn it, boot to it and scan your PC. It does a good job of removing bugs.

This is the best advice in the thread so far. It does sound like a virus. Sounds like a variant of the FBI/Moneypak virus. It gets that white screen when it is unable to establish a connection to its webserver to pull the fake FBI page.

If it is indeed the virus, the Kaspersky rescue cd will remove it and let you boot normally.

+1 on avoiding staples or Geek Squad. Geek Squad's job is to sell.

1)What OS do you have? There should be a Microsoft Product sticker on the PC somewhere that will tell you.
2)Look for disk that came with PC. If you cant find your original borrow a friends copy.
3) boot to cd and choose the repair option. Select your OS and then go to advanced repair options. Click on the command line options and run chkdsk C: /b to and let us know the results.

If this is over your head bring it into a PC repair shop.

That link didn't work but I went to their website, problem is I am unsure what to download as I need something I can boot from. Is it possible to tell me exactly what to download. Sorry, not really a tech savy guy.

I can't find any boot disks for my system.

Being a person so frugal that Scotsmen regularly blanch at my frugality, I still have a number of Windows98se boxes scattered around the house which I have forced to continue working online by using KernelEx and other carefully selected software. Yes, yes, a glutton for punishment. Why does man climb the mountain ... I digress. (again.)

So ... here are some very basic suggestions for working with your problem on Windows 98 ...

First, use System File Checker to take a look some of your system files. System File Checker is a native program that should be on your computer from when the Operating System was loaded. This is a program that looks at about 1000 or so system files and checks them to see if any appear corrupt.
While you will need the system disks to fix any problem found, System File Checker still allows you to see which files may be corrupt. While it is best run from the command prompt (if you know how to do that), you can also run it while windows is running.
When you run SFC, each time it finds a file that is corrupt, just write down the name of the corrupt file, and on the resulting screen check “ignore” and it will go on with it’s examination.

The easiest way to find System File Checker on your computer is to either to ...
Goto the Start (button) > Programs > Accessories > System Tools ... hopefully you will see it there ... or if not, search your system by opening Windows Explorer and under the “Tools” drop-down menu use the “Find” feature to search your computer for Sfc.exe .
Once you find it, click to run it and see what it finds.

Another simple step you can try is to run ScanDisk ... it also is at ...
Start (button) > Programs > Accessories > System Tools
In Scandisk, make sure to check the setting that tells scandisk to automatically repair any problems it finds ... and check the setting that performs the "thorough" form of the scandisk scan.

As an aside ... btw: do NOT run the defrag program (“disk defragmenter”) while your system is ill.

As far as kaspersky ... Does anything Kaspersky work with windows 98? ... the OP is running 98.
I don’t think Kaspersky or hardly anyone else offers anything for Windows 98 anymore ... with the exception of ClamWin Antivirus.
ClamWin is good for scanning though does not provide on-access protection.
Google ClamWin and download and run it ... see if it finds anything.

Finally, you can try going to MSconfig and look, at least, at the startup tab there for anything that looks odd. Of course you have to understand what files should be checked there and which ones are extraneous. There is at least a pretty decent chance that you might actually see what is loading itself (or trying to load itself) there, and be able to uncheck it so that it does not load that white screen thats been plaguing you.
While using MSconfig is beyond the scope of my post here, you can find lots of info online by googling “msconfig” plus “windows 98” for more information on how it might help.
One moderate description can be found at ... http://www.alexnolan.net/articles/service.htm

In any regard, use System File Checker ... run ScanDisk ... and download and Run ClamWin and see where that gets you.

Good luck.

SORRY!!!! I it isn't what was asked....

I own mac and a google chromebook. No viruses ever.

Except that when Mac is profitable enough to hack people will hack it.

I have my computers 100% clean, but then again I have 3 cleaners on it to keep all the viruses away and know how to remove even the most stubborn viruses. If you ever had to get rid of Windows 2000/Vista Security, then you know what fun that can be.

My computer boots up fine but just before my desktop is to load I get a white screen with a black border and my keyboard doesn't work. So in order to power it down I have to push in the ON button and hold it...but the monent I push it in my desktop shows up but my computer is powering down and I can't stop it. So it is not a monitor issue. So I try and bring it up in safe mode, ok keyboard works, but as it is bringing it up in safe mode again just before my desktop loads that white/black window appears and keybord doesn't respond..so back to power off and again desktop appears but already powering down. I tried to ALT-F10 to set it back to factory setting but it won't let me. It is a vicious cycle, that is why I'm thinking virus.

What do you think.

One a related topic, if need be how can I order a new drive loaded with the original factory software?

I think your problem is likely a Windows failure (which could be brought on by a virus) or a hard drive failure.

If you have it pop in your Windows installation CD. You can try running a repair, or about once a year or 2 I just clean wipe my computers. I save all my personal files in externals or in a cloud based storage anyway so all I lose are settings.

Except that when Mac is profitable enough to hack people will hack it.

Uhmm.... what?

Apple is more profitable than Microsoft.

Microsoft Revenue FY13 Q2: $21.5 Billion ($6.38 billion net profit).

Apple Revenue Q4 2012: $36 billion ($8.2 billion net profit).

Apple's market capitalization is almost double Microsoft's ($400 billion vs. $240 billion). Apple is both a far bigger, and far more profitable company.

Uhmm.... what?

Apple is more profitable than Microsoft.

Microsoft Revenue FY13 Q2: $21.5 Billion ($6.38 billion net profit).

Apple Revenue Q4 2012: $36 billion ($8.2 billion net profit).

Apple's market capitalization is almost double Microsoft's ($400 billion vs. $240 billion). Apple is both a far bigger, and far more profitable company.

You will need to read his post again.

Latest posts

Back