Annoying stuck fermentation biab

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knox_brew

Reaction score
I brewed a NB bourbon barrel porter on 3/17 using the biab method. My og was around 1.060 ( had a few to many while brewing and misplaced my notes) three weeks later I'm sitting at 1.036 which I feel is not so good. I pitched a packet of Nottingham dry rehydrated but no starter at around 68 degrees or so after using my chiller.

I have moved the fermenter around hoping to rouse the yeast back into suspension. Just looking for some suggestions on how to get it going again. It's sitting at room temp right now of about 68/70 or so. I thought about pitching a packet of us-05 to get it back going but am going to hold off for the time being and give it another week or so.

Thanks and cheers
Sent from my iPhone

Around 155 I believe. It was supposed to be 152 but I figured the few extra degrees wouldn't hurt it. I'll have to check the calibration of my thermometer again. If it was off and ended up being to high would the addition of some boiled and cooled dme help to get things going again by adding more fermentables? Also I didn't do a mash out just went with full volume boil amount and then squeezed the bejesus out of the bag.

It tastes like a porter good color and aroma it's just a bit thin.

Cheers

Use your other hydrometer to test just in case the paper in your hydrometer slipped. It has been known to happen.

It's a new hydrometer about a month old never been dropped so I'm almost positive it's not my reading. Yeah I'm sure it's 1.036 I hadn't had any beers yet when I was checking it.

The beer tastes good just doesn't seem as filling as a porter should be or as much body as I would have thought it should have. I've got my system down pretty good as I've done a 1.090 IPA and a 1.054 patersbier both of which have come out very good. IPA was US-05 double pitched an the patersbier was wyeast Trappist high grav yeast.

Thanks

Back